Medina Spirit at the Kentucky Derby At 12-1 odds, Medina Spirit and jockey John Velazquez won the Kentucky Derby on May 1 by a half-length over Mandaloun. It was the seventh Kentucky Derby victory for Baffert, breaking a tie with Ben Jones for the most by a trainer in the race’s 147-year history.
How many horses are in the Kentucky Derby?
- Oaklawn remembers Smarty Jones with a Kentucky Derby prep race, its 15th (and earliest) edition today drawing 14 freshly turned 3-year-olds going a mile. The race drew a record 98 nominees, and if the field remains intact, it will exceed the 12 starters in 2008, 2010 and 2012.
Did the 2021 Kentucky Derby winner get disqualified?
Medina Spirit, the winner of the 2021 Kentucky Derby before being disqualified for multiple failed drug tests, died of an apparent heart attack suffered during a morning workout at Santa Anita Park Monday (December 6) morning, CBS Los Angeles reports.
Who won the Kentucky Derby this year?
Medina Spirit and jockey John Velazquez won the Kentucky Derby on May 1 with 12-1 odds, making it the seventh victory for Baffert, per Courier Journal.
Why did the Kentucky Derby winner get disqualified?
Medina Spirit had failed a post-race drug test last month and its Derby victory could be disqualified by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission. The colt’s second failed test showed the presence of a type of steroid known as betamethasone, said W. Craig Robertson III, an attorney for the horse’s owner, in a statement.
Was Medina Spirit stripped of Kentucky Derby win?
The post-race test identified 21 picograms per milliliter of betamethasone, an anti-inflammatory that can be used to relieve joint pain in horses, which is more than twice the allowed amount within 14 days of the race in Kentucky.
Who won the Kentucky Derby in 1982?
Essential Quality, ridden by jockey Luis Saez, crosses the finish line to win the 153rd running of the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, June 5. (CNN) Essential Quality, trained by Brad Cox and ridden by jockey Luis Saez, won the 153rd running of the Belmont Stakes on Saturday at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York.
How many horses are in the Kentucky Derby this year?
20 horses compete in the Kentucky Derby, which is a larger field size than most horse races; where on average 8 horses race against one another.
Who won the Epsom Derby 2021?
2021 was the 242nd annual Derby race, taking place at Epsom Downs Racecourse on Saturday 5 June. The 2021 Cazoo Derby started at 4.30pm and Adayar ridden by Adam Kirby won the race. Adayar is trained by Charlie Appleby and owned by Godolphin.
Which Derby horse died?
Medina Spirit, the winner of the 2021 Kentucky Derby who was shrouded in controversy following a failed drug test, died on Monday. The lightning-fast colt collapsed during the final stretch of his workout at famed California track Santa Anita.
Who won the Kentucky Derby in 1980?
A winning jockey will take 10% of the horse’s purse at the Kentucky Derby, so $186,000 for this year’s Derby winner, John Velazquez (although this could change depending on the current investigation). That’s a huge payday in a sport where an average year’s earning can be $30,000-$40,000, according to Career Trend.
Has any horse won the Kentucky Derby twice?
Nyquist is the second Derby winner to win the race as an undefeated two-year-old season champion. The 2016 Kentucky Derby, which Nyquist won by 1¼ lengths, was the horse’s last win. Nyquist is a 5th generation descendant of Secretariat.
Did Medina Spirit pass the second drug test?
Medina Spirit is a step closer from having his win in the Kentucky Derby disqualified. A second post-race drug test for Medina Spirit reportedly came back positive for betamethasone, according to Joe Drape of The New York Times. The first positive test for Medina Spirit was revealed May 9.
Medina Spirit, disputed winner of 2021 Kentucky Derby, dies after workout
According to trainer Bob Baffert, Medina Spirit, who was widely regarded as the winner of the 2021 Kentucky Derby, died of a heart attack following a training at Santa Anita Park on Monday. “This news has crushed my whole barn,” Baffert wrote in an email to reporters. We are heartbroken by the passing of Medina Spirit, who was a tremendous champion and a beloved member of our family. He will be sorely missed.” I shall always treasure the proud and intimate recollections I have of Medina Spirit and his incredible spirit,” says the author.
Immediately following the incident, a team lead by Senior Veterinarian Dr.
The California Horse Racing Board received the samples and used them in their investigations.
The results of the necropsy and toxicological examinations will be released by the CHRC at a later date.
Medina Spirit at the Kentucky Derby
Medina Spirit and jockey John Velazquez won the Kentucky Derby on May 1 by a half-length against Mandaloun, despite being given odds of 12-1. It was Baffert’s seventh Kentucky Derby triumph, breaking a tie with Ben Jones for the most victories by a trainer in the race’s 147-year history. Medina Spirit and Baffert, on the other hand, were the focus of a debate that has not been settled to this day a week later. On May 9, Baffert said that Medina Spirit had tested positive for betamethasone at a concentration of 21 picograms.
It is used to treat a variety of conditions.
Mandaloun will be named the winner of the Kentucky Derby if the findings of Medina Spirit’s positive test are maintained, according to Churchill Downs officials.
It was Baffert’s team, lead by owner Amr Zedan, that brought a lawsuit against the KHRC in June, claiming that the betamethasone found in the horse’s blood tests came from a topical cream rather than an injection.
Bob Baffert’s Churchill Downs suspension
- In a statement released on Friday, Baffert’s attorney Craig Robertson stated that the findings of a split urine sample taken from Medina Spirit indicated that the betamethasone found in the horse’s system after winning the Kentucky Derby originated from the topical medication Otomax. The results following the Kentucky Derby were purely the consequence of the horse being treated for a skin problem with a topical ointment under the supervision of Medina Spirit’s veterinarian, according to Robertson’s statement. According to Dr. Mary Scollay, executive director of the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium, the presence of a Class C substance on race day, such as betamethasone, results in a “non-negotiable” exclusion from the competition. “The fact that it was in the horse does not diminish the fact that it was in the animal,” Scollay explained. Bob Baffert’s attorney is: Medina Spirit’s test demonstrated that betamethasone was used topically rather than injection. Baffert is now serving a two-year suspension at Churchill Downs, which will last until the conclusion of the 2023 Spring Meet, according to the track. This will feature the Kentucky Derby events in 2022 and 2023. Since 2000, according to a Washington Post piece published in June, at least 74 horses have died under Baffert’s care in his home state of California, a figure that exceeds the total of all but two other trainers in the state, according to a Washington Post study of statistics and public records. However, when the number of races conducted is taken into consideration, Baffert’s horses have perished at the highest rate among the ten trainers who have had the most horse deaths. Medina Spirit, a 3-year-old filly that raced for Zedan Racing Stables, finished with a 5-4-1 record in 10 lifetime races and earned $3,545,200. Horse racing: The instance of trainer Bob Baffert highlights the competing interests that exist in horse racing. Medina Spirit, a son of Protonico out of the Brilliant Speed mare Mongolian Changa, prepared for the Kentucky Derby at Santa Anita Park with victories in the Grade 3 Robert B. Lewis and runner-up finishes in the Grade 3 Sham, Grade 2 San Felipe, and Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby. Medina Spirit is a son of Protonico out of the Brilliant Speed mare Mongolian Changa. Following her victory in the Kentucky Derby, Medina Spirit finished third in the Preakness Stakes and was subsequently retired from competition for a period of three and a half months. He bounced back with victory in the Grade 1 Shared Belief at Del Mar and the Grade 1 Awesome Again at Santa Anita before finishing second to Knicks Go in the Breeders’ Cup Classic at Del Mar on Nov. 6, capping his career. Jason Frakes can be reached at 502-582-4046 or [email protected]
- His Twitter handle is @KentuckyDerbyCJ.
Medina Spirit Stripped of 2021 Kentucky Derby Win
Medina Spirit will no longer be the winner of the Kentucky Derby in 2021, according to the official results. Officials with the Kentucky Racing Commission announced on Monday that the colt, who died unexpectedly in December, was disqualified from the race for failing a drug test after winning it. Medina Spirit is only the third horse in the race’s 147-year history to be penalized for finishing first after receiving a disqualification. It is because of this decision that the colt’s owner, Amr Zedan, will not receive the $1.8 million first-place check, which was never paid out.
It was announced in a statement that Mandaloun will be recognized as the winner of the 2021 Derby, and that “we look forward to celebrating Mandaloun at a future date in a manner that is fitting of this rare distinction.” Churchill Downs, which is located near Louisville, Ky., is the track that hosts the Derby.
- Baffert was also fined $7,500 and suspended for 90 days, starting on March 8, in addition to the other penalties.
- 14, the Kentucky Horse Racing Association conducted a videoconference hearing before a three-member panel of stewards.
- It was betamethasone that was discovered in Medina Spirit’s system.
- Neither Baffert nor his attorneys admitted to injecting the colt, but claimed the drug was applied topically to Medina Spirit’s hind end to treat a skin rash.
- He also stated that they will seek all legal remedies available to them through the judicial system.
- A new stain has been placed on a sport that has been plagued by doping issues, and Baffert’s reputation and future in the sport are now in jeopardy as a result of the disqualification.
- The decision by Kentucky racing officials comes at a time when the Triple Crown season is heating up and the quest for qualifying points to earn a spot in the Derby’s starting gate is getting urgent.
- Baffert has three accomplished 3-year-old colts in his barn — two of them, Corniche and Newgrange, are undefeated.
Last month, Baffert threatened to sue Churchill Downs if the track did not lift the two-year ban, saying that his right to due process was violated and that he had been unlawfully excluded from Churchill Downs and the Derby, according to a wide-ranging draft legal complaint obtained by The New York Times.
- In 2020, in the Kentucky Oaks, the nation’s premier race for 3-year-old fillies, Gamine, whom Baffert had trained, tested positive for the same substance as Medina Spirit after finishing third.
- “This threatened lawsuit is yet another tactic from Mr.
- New York racing officials have sought to bar Baffert from Aqueduct, Belmont and Saratoga, alleging in a recent hearing that the trainer had committed conduct detrimental to the best interests of racing, to the health and safety of horses and jockeys, and to its business operations.
- Hair, blood and urine samples showed no evidence of doping, California racing officials said on Friday.
- Set to take effect July 1, 2022, it calls for a board overseen by the Federal Trade Commission to write rules and penalties to be enforced by the United States Anti-Doping Agency, which regulates Olympic and other elite athletes in the United States.
- USADA’s role is uncertain, however, because the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority, which is charged with creating a framework and budget for enforcement, could not reach an agreement with the agency.
- With Medina Spirit’s apparent victory at Churchill Downs last year, Baffert won his seventh Kentucky Derby, surpassing a record set by Ben Jones, who last won in 1952.
- In 2019, Maximum Security was first across the finish line,only to be disqualified for almost knocking over a rival horsein the far turn and slowing the momentum of others.
- He is awaiting trial.
- That case lingered in the courts for four years before the disqualification was finally upheld.
Bettors were not made wholeby the Kentucky decision. While those who backed Medina Spirit kept their winnings, those who supported Mandaloun are still left with losing tickets, a situation that prompted a class-action lawsuit on their behalf.
Medina Spirit, the disqualified 2021 Kentucky Derby winner, to be buried alongside Charismatic and War Emblem
Photographs courtesy of Getty Images Medina Spirit shall live on in mythology for the rest of time. The ashes of the disqualified Kentucky Derby winner for the year 2021 will be placed in Old Friends, a retirement center for thoroughbred horses in Kentucky, among the ashes of other Kentucky Derby winners Charismatic and War Emblem, who were also disqualified. The Bob Baffert-trained colt died on December 6 during a training session at Santa Anita Park in California, and his body was later cremated.
- According to the Associated Press, “Medina Spirit was much loved by us and everyone at the barn.” Baffert and his wife, Jill Baffert, issued a statement in response to the remark.
- In addition to the 90-day punishment, the commission imposed a two-year suspension on Baffert, who is already serving a two-year suspension from Churchill Downs.
- According to the Associated Press, Baffert intends to file an appeal against the ruling.
- It is heartwarming to know that Medina Spirit will be laid to rest with many of horse racing’s greats, as well as the amazing people at Old Friends Farm.
- On April 5, the organization horOld Friends will throw an open house in the memorial garden that contains Medina Spirit’s gravestone.
Who won the Kentucky Derby in 2021? Full results, finish order & highlights from the race
Update: Medina Spirit failed a post-race drug test, putting the horse’s chances of winning the Kentucky Derby in peril. If the findings of the test are maintained, Medina Spirit will be disqualified from the Kentucky Derby, and Mandaloun, the runner-up, would be crowned the winner. It was declared by Churchill Downs that Bob Baffert, the trainer of Medina Spirit, has been barred from entering any horses at the racing track for the foreseeable future. Baffert has stated that he will appeal the decision, describing the event as “a blatant injustice.
- With his seventh career victory at Churchill Downs, Bob Baffert, the trainer of Medina Spirit (12-1), set a new Kentucky Derby record with his victory.
- “It’s hard for me to believe.
- “I really like the album and everything, but it’s one of those things where I’m really overjoyed because, when you win something, you never know whether you’ll be back.
- A little little racehorse, that one!” Medina Spirit was purchased as a yearling for the sum of $1,000.
- pic.twitter.com/pEvJFsQwBw It will be May 1, 2021, according to NBC Sports (@NBCSports).
During the Kentucky Derby in 2021, Sporting News gave live updates on the race. Take a look at the whole set of findings below. ADVANCED INFORMATION: Kentucky Derby payout breakdown for 2021
Kentucky Derby finish order
|3||Hot Rod Charlie||$5.20|
|12||Like The King|
|17||Rock Your World|
|19||Soup And Sandwich|
|20||King Fury (scratch)|
- $1 Exacta (8-7) paid $503.60
- $1 Trifecta (8-7-9) paid $1,696.90
- $1 Superfecta (8-7-9-14) paid $9,456.40
- $2 Exacta (8-7) paid $503.60
- $2 Superfecta (8-7-9-14) paid $9,456.40
Watch the 2021 Kentucky Derby
It will be May 1, 2021, according to NBC Sports (@NBCSports).
Kentucky Derby live updates, highlights, results
(All timings are in Eastern Standard Time.) 7:10 p.m. is the time. — Bob Baffert has become the most successful trainer in the history of the Kentucky Derby. — NBC Sports (@NBCSports) on Twitter The date is May 1, 2012, at 17:05 p.m. — Those that know the industry well include Medina Spirit, Mandaloun, Hot Rod Charlie, and Essential Quality, to name a few. The Kentucky Derby is won by Medina Spirit at 7:01 p.m., beating out the rest of the field! THE @KentuckyDerby HAS BEEN WON BY MEDINA SPIRIT!
- — Early on, Medina Spirit takes the lead, followed by Soup and Sandwich, which are also close behind.
- —And they’re off to the races!
- — 7:00 p.m.
- It’s getting close to racing time.
- on May 1, 2021 — It appears that “Mattress Mack” has discovered some loose coins.
- pic.twitter.com/FJa1nV5pVH — NBC Sports EDGE Betting (@NBCSportsBet)May 1, 2021:25 p.m.
- — NBC Sports EDGE Betting (@NBCSportsBet) At today’s Kentucky Derby, a total of 51,838 people registered for the event, making it the highest audience at an American sporting event since the epidemic began 14 months ago.
— Hayes Gardner (@HayesGardner)May 1, 2021:15 p.m.
The Turf Classic comes to a close in a tie.
on May 1, 2021 — It’s time to get your Twitter friends together and play the “Tom Brady looks like.” game.
pic.twitter.com/lEPbC2oVRB Mystery Solvent (@MysterySolvent) is a Twitter account dedicated to solving mysteries.
on May 1, 2021 — With his Kentucky Derby name tag, Aaron Rodgers, of course, made a reference to the game show “Celebrity Jeopardy.” This is great.
pic.twitter.com/imCAYLCafn — Josh Rowntree (@JRown32), on Twitter 1st of May, 2021
2021 Kentucky Derby post time
- Date:Saturday, May 1
- Post time:6:57 p.m. ET
- TV coverage:NBC, fuboTV (7-day free trial)
- NBC Sports Network
The Kentucky Derby will be broadcast live on NBC beginning at 2:30 p.m. ET on April 6, 2021. The event will take place at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky, and the first post will be at 6:57 p.m. Eastern Time. You can also watch the Derby live on fuboTV, which is offering a seven-day free trial period right now.
Kentucky Derby post positions
The entire list of starting positions, as well as the chances of each horse winning the Kentucky Derby, may be seen below.
|2||Like The King||50-1|
|9||Hot Rod Charlie||8-1|
|15||Rock Your World||5-1|
|19||Soup And Sandwich||30-1|
Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit’s failed drug test is confirmed
On Wednesday, a lawyer for Medina Spirit’s owner informed CNBC that the horse’s blood had been tested for the presence of the illegal drug betamethasone for the second time. Medina Spirit was the winner of the Kentucky Derby. The likelihood that Medina Spirit’s victory on May 1 would be reversed by Kentucky racing officials and that Mandaloun, who finished second on that day, will be proclaimed the winner grows dramatically with the second positive test being obtained. The entity that manages Churchill Downs Racetrack — the venue of the Kentucky Derby — announced that Baffert had been suspended for two years immediately upon the announcement of the results of the test.
- That test, according to Brewster, might identify whether there are compounds present that would support the trainerBob Baffert’s allegation that the betamethasone may have originated from an antifungal ointment administered to the horse rather than an injection of the medication.
- The attorney said that he may also contest the accuracy and methodology of the first official test, as well as the second examination of blood, known as a split sample, conducted by the laboratory staff.
- The trainer generally has the option of “sending the B sample” to a specified lab for examination in order to conduct a second, confirmatory test if the horse fails the first test, according to Brewster.
- Following Medina Spirit’s victory in the 147th Kentucky Derby on May 1, 2021 at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky, trainer Bob Baffert lifts the trophy in celebration of his seventh career Kentucky Derby triumph with Medina Spirit.
- “However, they declined to send” the urine, according to Brewster.
- The lawyer stated that Medina Spirit’s team received notification from the lab on Monday or Tuesday that “betamethasone” had been discovered in the split sample.
- In his words, “they assessed it to be 25 picograms.” Baffert made the first public announcement that Medina Spirit had tested positive for betamethasone at a press conference on May 9, stating that the initial sample tested positive for the drug contained 21 picograms of betamethasone.
In a phone conversation with Brewster on Wednesday, he stressed the importance of picograms, which are one trillionth of a gram in size.
The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission will have the last decision on whether or not Medina Spirit’s Derby victory should be declared invalid.
“I believe there will be consensus on the matter that this is an insignificant quantity that could not possibly have had an impact on the race,” the attorney said.
Baffert has had five horses fail drug tests so far this year and has been banned from the track indefinitely.
In the wake of Medina Spirit’s positive drug test in the Kentucky Derby, trainer Bob Baffert was temporarily barred from entering horses in the Belmont Stakes on Saturday on Long Island, New York.
Baffert has coached two Triple Crown champions in his career.
Later on Wednesday, Baffert’s attorney, W.
As a result of the investigations, this will accept that the Medina Spirit split sample revealed the presence of betamethasone at a concentration of 25 picograms, according to Robertson.
“We anticipate that this additional testing will establish that the betamethasone found in the blood was derived from the topical ointment Otomax and not from an injection,” Robertson stated.
Once the extra testing is completed, we will have nothing more to say on the subject.” “The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission does not give comment or updates on the progress of current investigations,” said Kristin Voskuhl, a spokesperson for the commission, which issued a statement.
“The news of Medina Spirit’s second test being proven positive comes as no surprise,” said Marty Irby, executive director of the animal welfare advocacy group Animal Wellness Action, in a statement.
There must be a stop to cheating and medicine misuse in sports, and an example must be set. The quickest two minutes in sports must be ended.” Disclosure: NBCUniversal, the parent company of CNBC, owns NBC and NBC Sports, both of which broadcast the Triple Crown races.
Medina Spirit’s 2021 Kentucky Derby win has been nullified and horse trainer Bob Baffert is suspended
(CNN) The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission said Monday that Medina Spirit’s win in the Kentucky Derby in 2021 has been ruled invalid by the commission. After winning the Derby and reaching the finish line first, the horse was subjected to a drug test. Medina Spiritdied in the month of December. The thoroughbred was nearing the end of a training when he slumped at the finish line at the Santa Anita Park racetrack in Southern California. The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission also imposed a 90-day ban for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert, who was responsible for Medina Spirit’s training, as well as a $7,500 fine.
- CNN was presented with a statement from Baffert’s representative, in which he expressed his disappointment with the decision.
- We will be submitting an appeal as soon as possible.” The panel ruled that the $1.86 million prize money must be returned to the winner.
- In a statement released Monday, Churchill Downs confirmed that Mandaloun has been named the winner of the 147th Kentucky Derby.
- A winning Kentucky Derby is one of the most thrilling sporting feats, and we look forward to honoring Mandaloun in a manner that is befitting of such a prestigious honor at a future date.
Horse Racing’s Best Team Props Up an Underdog in Riveting Derby
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The University of Kentucky is a public research institution. In the aftermath of a Kentucky Derby outcome that was both very familiar and largely unexpected, the ecstasy spilled across the track at Churchill Downs and into the winner’s circle, a moving tangle of people cheering and hugging in the afterglow of a victory. “I won the Derby,” Amr Zedan, a Saudi Arabian businessman and owner of Medina Spirit, sobbed into his phone as he announced his victory. “I was victorious in the Derby.” The person on the other end of the phone line was Zedan’s father.
- Following Zedan’s death, the rest of the group arrived, pumped and ready to celebrate.
- “Can you f—king believe this s—?” Bob Baffert said, still in a state of euphoric surprise.
- “How do you like that?
- Believe it or not.
- Although it was not a typical Baffert entry in this race, he pulled it off with a bargain-basement horse that was sent out at 12-1 odds after creating significantly less excitement than a normal Baffert entry in this event.
- Sports Illustrated photographer Erick Rasco Medina Spirit was originally offered for sale for the ludicrous sum of $1,000 in a sport where the most regally bred yearlings may fetch millions of dollars.
- He only received one bid, which was the winning bid.
That is far less than the current market value of Baffert’s top horses.
Prior to that, Life Is Good appeared to have all the makings of the next Baffert monster, winning the San Felipe Stakes in March by defeating Medina Spirit.
When Medina Spirit was defeated by Rock Your World in the Santa Anita Derby in April, it didn’t do much to instill faith in the racing public.
“I was able to sneak inside this place,” Baffert explained.
His absence from the post position draw on Tuesday was followed by a leisurely hour on Wednesday outside his Barn 33 home on the Churchill backside, where he reclined on a sawhorse and shot the wind.
“Perhaps he’ll get a piece of it or something,” Baffert speculated, hoping without hope that his horse will finish first.
“You can see why he only cost $35,000,” a trainer observed as he galloped around the track on Wednesday morning.
Only two of Baffert’s seven victories have been backed at double-digit odds: War Emblem at 21-1 in 2002 and Medina Spirit at 11-1 this year, respectively.
Medina Spirit, on the other hand, had three things going for him: the finest trainer in the world, the best jockey in the business (John Velazquez), and the sheer speed with which he was able to take the lead and dictate terms to the rest of the field.
After examining the terrain, Velazquez concluded that he could position his horse in the lead.
“And the more I looked at the race, the more I analyzed the race, the more I realized he was significantly quicker than the other horses.” As far as the lead was concerned, Rock Your World appeared to be the most formidable opponent.
Rock Your World, on the other hand, was late to leave the gate and was immediately stopped down in traffic, so it never had a chance to get there.
Velazquez placed his horse into a comfortable pace, anticipating that there would be no blistering speed competition.
When that 1:11 appeared on the giant video screen, it became evident that Velazquez had a chance to take the lead in the early stages of the competition.
When Medina Spirit came around the corner, Mandaloun, the second-stringer in Brad Cox’s stable behind Essential Quality, loomed beside him and didn’t let up until the finish.
With four horses all charging forward, it appeared as though any of the pursuers may be able to get past Medina Spirit and claim the flowers.
Baffert expressed himself.
Sports Illustrated photographer Erick Rasco From losing a picture finish in his first Derby in 1996 (“I never believed I’d be back”) to losing a Triple Crown in a photo finish two years later, Baffert has experienced a lot of racing drama during his quarter century at the top of the thoroughbred game.
- There were no gut punches this time; only backslaps and hugs.Medina Spirit demonstrated his best attribute in that stretch battle: he is an extremely competitive horse.
- “That little horse has a lot of guts,” Baffert remarked of his mount.
- This was a fight to the finish, and the horse with the most grit triumphed.
- “All you ask for in a horse is that.” The tense drama was the final gift of this Kentucky Derby weekend, a sun-drenched return to near-normalcy in American sports that culminated in the Kentucky Derby on Saturday.
- At Churchill Downs, it was extremely quiet when Baffert won the postponed Derby last year, which took place over Labor Day weekend in front of perhaps 1,000 fans amid an eerie silence.
- Even though Churchill tried to enforce health laws on them, the audience was wildly joyous, completely disregarding his efforts.
Pat Forde has contributed to the following articles:
- A tangled web of intrigue involving the Derby, the Sheikh, and the Missing Princess
- A list of the best and worst Kentucky Derby monikers throughout history What Would the Structure of a College Football Super League Be Like
- Gonzaga has reached a watershed moment with Holmgren’s commitment
Kentucky Derby 2022
Best Beyer/Horse Racing Trainer/Jockey Kenny McPeek is a musician from the United Kingdom. Corey Lanerie is a professional basketball player. 5-1 Kenny McPeek is the trainer. Corey Lanerie is the rider. Track: Risen Star, 2/19, FG, 2nd by 2 3/4 seconds, 94. Last Race: Next Likely Race – Track: Kentucky Derby or Blue Grass, Fair Grounds on March 26th, or Keeneland on March 27th 4/9 Lucky Seven is the proprietor. Stable Sire:Runhappy JP: After meeting some traffic troubles, he had a strong start to his third-year season, finishing runner-up in Risen Star.
- “The Florida Derby or the Blue Grass will be the next stop.
- In the case of Joel Rosario, the term “in the case of” refers to the fact that he is a person who has a job that requires him to travel.
- Joel Rosario is the horse’s jockey.
- Winchell Thoroughbreds is the owner of this horse.
- JP: I was able to get away with smaller fractions in Risen Star than I did in Lecomte, which resulted in an easy score.
- MM: Risen Star has a dominant score, without a sure, but one has to wonder how it will all function when he is shoved into the front row.
- Kennedy Jr., Brian Lynch, John F.
is an 8-1 fighter.
Irad Ortiz Jr.
88Last Race – Track:Sam F.
Cooper are the owners of this horse.
JP: Set/pressured a fast pace, shrugged off early opponents, and pulled away in a stunning three-year-old debut performance.
MM: He could hardly have been more remarkable in his seasonal debut; he was assessed well, but let’s see how he performs when he’s not on the field.
Irad Ortiz Jr.
Todd Pletcher is the trainer.
is the rider.
WinStar Farm and Twin Creeks Racing are the owners of this horse.
I believe he is a top-tier prospect.
Chad Brown is an American football player who was born in the state of California.
Chad Brown is the trainer.
Risen Star, 2/19, FG, 3 1/4 seconds behind in 3rd place, 93 points.
Sire:Upstart The poor start cost him position, and the slow pace gave him no favors, but he rebounded to finish with a positive attitude.
MM: Considering how he dug himself into a hole, this is a fantastic Risen Star effort; Blue Grass is already looming large for him.
Luis Saez’s full name is Luis Saez.
Luis Saez is the rider.
In the near future, there will be a race on the following tracks: Fountain of Youth (1 1/16m), Gulfstream (3/5).
JP: He had a really easy go of it in Tampa, but I really enjoyed the way he looked while doing it.
MM: The “travel to Tampa for a useful race” strategy has been a part of the TAP 3yo playbook for a long time; FOY should provide us with a lot more information.
is the son of Saffie Joseph Sr.
12-1 Saffie Joseph Jr.
Tyler Gaffalione is the rider.
Sire:Race Day is a day of celebration for the Sire.
Will skip Fountain of Youth and instead wait for the Florida Derby.
Chad Brown is an American football player who was born in the state of California.
Chad Brown is the trainer.
In the last race, the track was Withers, 2/5, AQU, 1st by 4 1/2 lengths, and 78 Wood Memorial (1 1/8m), Aqueduct (4/9) are the most likely tracks for the next race.
Gun Runner is the sire of this horse.
In the hope that Wood can launch the horse to Derby glory, Chad is taking his chances.
Kenny McPeek is a musician from the United Kingdom.
(15-1) is a football player from the United States.
Brian Hernandez Jr.
KEE was first by 4 1/4 lengths in the Breeders’ Futurity on 10/9 at Keeneland.
Lucky Seven Stable is the proprietor.
MM: He’s keeping up with his training, and McPeek is encouraging him along the way; the Fountain of Youth should provide some insight.
Florent Geroux is a 20-year-old French soccer player.
Florent Geroux is the horse’s jockey.
On the horizon comes the Louisiana Derby, which will take place at Fair Grounds on March 26th.
Gun Runner is the sire of this horse.
With an all-time win, hit the reset button and be ready to attempt stakes sans blinkers once more.
Richard Mandella is a former president of the United States.
20-1 Richard Mandella is the trainer.
San Vicente, 1/29 (SA), 1st by 2 1/4 (94), last race.
My Racehorse and Spendthrift Farm is owned by me.
MM: There’s no doubt that distance is the most pressing concern with a colt who will be putting everything on the line in the San Felipe.
Javier Castellano is a 20-year-old baseball player who plays for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Javi Castellano is the jockey for this race.
In the near future, there will be a race on the following tracks: Fountain of Youth (1 1/16m), Gulfstream (3/5).
This time, sire, not this time.
Had every right to toss it, as I kept discovering.
John Ortiz is a baseball player from the United States.
30-1 John Ortiz is the trainer.
83rd place by 1/2 in the last race on Rebel’s track on 2/26/OP.
Sire: Race DayJP: This sire continues to put in strong results.
MM: Colt, who was originally risked for $30K, has continued to outperform; he may well be the best of the crop based in the state of Arkansas.
James Graham30-1 (James Graham30-1) (James Graham30-1) Keith Desormeaux is the trainer.
Track:Lecomte, 1/22, FG, 1st by head, 88.
Peter Cantrell is the proprietor.
Derby time will be an out-of-sight, out-of-mind proposition; training in the interim will be critical.
Wayne Lukas is an American businessman and philanthropist.
Wayne Lukas is the trainer.
Track: Rebel, 226 (OP), 2nd by 1/2, 83 points in the last race.
Quality Road is the sire of this song.
For a famous trainer, it’s been quite the journey from a fourth-start maiden triumph to a narrowly missed finish in a 50-point prep race.
Luis Saez30-1 (Luis Saez30-1) (Luis Saez30-1) (Luis Saez30-1 (Luis Saez30-1 (Luis Saez30-1 (Luis Saez30-1 (Luis Saez30-1 (Luis Saez30-1 (Luis Saez30-1 (Luis Saez30-1 (Luis Saez30-1 (Luis Saez30-1 (Luis Saez30-1 ( Todd Pletcher is the trainer.
Racing at Risen Star on 2/19, 4th by 3 1/4 lengths, 93 points.
Sire: The Nile’s first navigator JP: I tried to keep a moderate pace, but it wasn’t good enough.
MM: Had every opportunity in Risen Star but came up short; La.
Ricky Courville is a professional football player.
30-1 Ricky Courville is the trainer.
Track: Arkansas Derby, OP, 4/2; or Blue Grass, GP, 4/9; Next Likely Race: Cypress Creek Equine LLC is the proprietor.
MM: The one-eyed New York-bred was driven to a narrow victory, but his low fig indicates that he will struggle against the big boys.
Paco Lopez is a well-known actor who has appeared in a number of films.
Paco Lopez is the rider.
Edge Racing is the company that owns the racetrack.
JP: I’ve got a great setup for the one-turn mile.
A couple of highly respected Pletcher colts were defeated in that alw.
Todd Pletcher is a writer and director.
50-1 Todd Pletcher is the trainer.
Last Race – Track:Iroquois, 9/18, CD, 1st by a neck, 76Next Likely Race – Track:Tampa Bay Derby, 1 1/16m, Tampa Bay Downs, 3/12Next Likely Race – Track:Iroquois, 9/18, CD, 1st by a neck, 76 WinStar Farm and Siena Farm are owned by the same person.
Off since September, his forthcoming comeback will reveal whether or not he has made any development since then.
Eddie Barker is a professional football player.
Jockey:Undecided Race 83: Sam F.
Upcoming Race – Track: Tampa Bay Derby (1 1/16m) at Tampa Bay Downs on 3/12 (Tampa Bay Downs).
JP: I thought Davis did well considering it was his first start in more than three months and he only had around two turns. MM: This New York-bred colt is being trained in Tampa this winter solely for business purposes; the TB Derby will be a litmus test for the trainer.
Medina Spirit wins the 147th Kentucky Derby
With the victory in the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, Medina Spirit gave trainer Bob Baffert a record-tying seventh Derby victory. John R. Velazquez, a four-time Kentucky Derby winner who was born in Puerto Rico, rode the horse. ‘There aren’t any words to explain it,’ he said. “This is something that never gets old.” Medina Spirit jumped out to an early lead and didn’t give up any ground during the race. Mandaloun came in second place, with Hot Rod Charlie coming in third. Buff Baffert (based in Southern California) was pleased with the outcome of the race: “It was a great race.” “I’m the luckiest person on the face of the planet.
“He has no idea how much he has cost,” Baffert explained.
The 147th running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky, drew a large crowd dressed in formal attire and big hats under beautiful skies and 75-degree temperatures for the 147th time.
The legendary horse race, which is frequently referred to as “the most thrilling two minutes in sports,” has returned to its traditional first Saturday in May after the Covid-19 outbreak forced the event to be postponed until September and caused the race to be played without spectators last year.
- Sarah Moyer of the Louisville Department of Health stated that the event’s organizers were taking all necessary procedures to guarantee that visitors may enjoy themselves safely this year.
- In addition, we are aware of how Covid is spread, and therefore just urging the use of masks and spacing, as well as immunization for those who have not been vaccinated, would suffice “In an interview, she explained her position.
- According to its website, the Kentucky Derby, also known as the Run for the Roses, has been running since 1875, making it the longest-standing sports event in the world.
- On April 30, 2021, fans gather at Churchill Downs to celebrate the conclusion of a race the day before the 147th running of the Kentucky Derby.
- King Fury was scratched due to a high temperature and elevated white count.
- Essential Quality was the horse that everyone favored.
- However, there has been some controversy surrounding the horse as a result of a complaint lodged against its owner, Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum of the United Arab Emirates.
- A statement from the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission (KHRC) stated that it had been notified of the allegation the previous day.
- Godolphin LLC, a thoroughbred breeding enterprise created by the prime minister, did not respond to a request for comment sent by email on Saturday afternoon.
- The second leg of the Triple Crown, which will take place on May 15 at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, is slated to take place.
Minyvonne Burke is an NBC News reporter that covers breaking news stories. Dennis Romero is an American actor and director. Dennis Romero is a breaking news correspondent for NBC News Digital and a member of the NBC News Digital team.
Medina Spirit, the horse that won the Kentucky Derby last year, has died of a heart attack
Medina Spirit passed away while working out in California on Monday morning, according to reports.
- After winning the Kentucky Derby in May, the 3-year-old thoroughbred was found to have failed a drug test. According to NBC News, the horse’s trainer Bob Baffert believes the horse may have had a heart attack while in training at Santa Anita Park. According to reports, the “entire barn” was heartbroken by the tragedy. “Medina Spirit was a tremendous champion, a member of our family who was adored by everybody, and we are truly mourning his loss,” Baffert said of the deceased horse in a statement. The proud and intimate memories I have of Medina Spirit and his wonderful spirit will remain in my heart forever. To Mr. Amr Zedan and the whole Zedan Racing Stables family, our heartfelt sympathies are extended to them.”
The results of the autopsy and toxicology tests will be used to determine the official cause of death.
- Medical examiner Dr. Laurie Bohannon and her team “immediately obtained blood samples, as well as samples of Medina Spirit’s hair and urine.” The California Horse Racing Board received the samples and used them in their investigations. “A comprehensive necropsy, as per California regulation, will be undertaken by the University of California-Davis’ School of Veterinary Medicine to attempt to determine the exact reason of this abrupt death,” according to a statement released by Santa Anita Park.
According to the Courier Journal, Medina Spirit and rider John Velazquez won the Kentucky Derby on May 1 against all odds at 12-1, giving Baffert his sixth triumph overall.
- However, after a week, the trainer and the horse were thrust into the spotlight when it was found that the animal had tested positive for 21 picograms of betamethasone, a synthetic steroid that is considered a performance enhancer.