Rombauer Wins the 2021 Preakness, Surging Past Medina Spirit – The New York Times.
Who won the Preakness?
Rombauer wins the Preakness Stakes. BALTIMORE — Rombauer, ridden by Flavien Prat, held off Midnight Bourbon and the embattled Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit to capture the 146th Preakness Stakes in front of a limited crowd at sun-splashed Pimlico Race Course on Saturday. Read Joe Drape’s account of the race.
What horses are running in the Preakness 2021?
2021 Preakness Field
- Ram 81. D.
- Keepmeinmind 92. Robertino Diodoro David Cohen.
- Medina Spirit 102. Bob Baffert John Velazquez.
- Crowded Trade 95. Chad Brown Javier Castellano.
- Midnight Bourbon 96. Steve Asmussen Irad Ortiz, Jr.
- Rombauer 88. Michael McCarthy Flavien Prat.
- France Go de Ina.
- Unbridled Honor 91.
Who won Belmont 2021?
(CNN) Essential Quality, trained by Brad Cox and ridden by jockey Luis Saez, won the 153rd running of the Belmont Stakes on Saturday at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York.
What horse won 2021 Derby?
Medina Spirit at the Kentucky Derby At 12-1 odds, Medina Spirit and jockey John Velazquez won the Kentucky Derby on May 1 by a half-length over Mandaloun. It was the seventh Kentucky Derby victory for Baffert, breaking a tie with Ben Jones for the most by a trainer in the race’s 147-year history.
What horse won the Preakness Stakes?
2021 Winner Rombauer made a last second push down the home stretch to pull ahead of Midnight Bourbon and Medina Spirit, to win the 146th Preakness Stakes for Jockey Flavien Prat and Trainer Michael McCarthy.
What did the Preakness pay 2021?
What is the Preakness Stakes purse in 2021? This year’s Preakness Stakes purse is $1 million. This is the second year in a row the purse has been reduced; It was $1.5 million in 2020, a decrease from a record $1.65 million in 2019.
Who is favored to win the Preakness tomorrow?
Midnight Bourbon is the 2021 Preakness Stakes favorite at 5-2.
What were the payouts for the Preakness today?
A total purse of $3 million at Churchill Downs drops to $1 million. First place will win 60 percent of the total purse, or $600,000, with the remaining split between second through fifth.
How many horses are in the 2021 Preakness?
Post time for the 2021 Preakness Stakes is scheduled for 6:47 p.m. ET on Saturday. With just 10 horses in the 2021 Preakness Stakes field, there will be half as many horses compared to this year’s Kentucky Derby.
How many horses are in the Preakness this year?
This year will be the 146th running of the Preakness Stakes, with a maximum of 14 horses making up the field for the race on Saturday May 15, 2021.
Did essential quality run in the Preakness?
Essential Quality did not run in the Preakness Stakes, which was won by Rombauer on May 15. Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit is not in the Belmont Stakes field after finishing third in the Preakness Stakes.
Who won the Preakness Stakes in 2021? Full results, finish order & highlights from the race
In the year 2021, there will be no Triple Crown winner. When Rombauer astonished everyone by winning the race by two lengths over second-place finisher Midnight Bourbon, it was a 12-to-1 shot to win. A strong performance by Medina Spirit, the betting favorite to win the Preakness Stakes in 2021, who led the pack of ten horses for the first three-quarters of the 1 3/16-mile race in Baltimore on Saturday. After a strong start, the 3-year-old colt was unable to maintain his momentum and finished third behind Rombauer and Midnight Bourbon.
Now, regardless of whether or not that occurs, the Triple Crown will not be altered.
Preakness Stakes finish order
The official race results have been released.
|7||France Go De Ina|
Watch the 2021 Preakness Stakes
• NBC Sports (@NBCSports) on Twitter on May 15, 2021
Preakness Stakes live updates, highlights, results
All timings are in Eastern Standard Time. After everything is said and done, Rombauer emerges as the unofficial champion with a timing of 1:53.62 minutes and 55 seconds! Midnight Bourbon and Medina Spirit finished second and third, respectively; there was no Triple Crown this year. Rombauer brings home the 146th Preakness Stakes victory! Preakness146pic.twitter.com/PTz4dLwInQ The Preakness Stakes (@PreaknessStakes) is a horse race in the United States. 15th of May, 2021 Sixty-five minutes into the race, Midnight Bourbon and Medina Spirit are neck-and-neck coming into the last bend.
6:54 p.m.: And they’re off to a good start!
It’s getting close to that point.
5:06 p.m.:Medina Spirit’s trainer, Bob Baffert, has issued the following statement to NBC Sports on his horse: “In preparation for Medina Spirit’s Preakness Stakes race today, I want the attention to remain on this incredible horse athlete rather than on myself, which is the major reason I will not be in attendance.
Firecrow takes first place in the Jim Mckay Turf Sprint at 4:17 p.m.
7 at the Preakness was: There’s a plot afoot.
The Gallorette Stakes, worth $150,000, will be won by MeanMary with @luissaezpty and [email protected] (G3). Preakness146pic.twitter.com/0pcbWCA81b The Preakness Stakes (@PreaknessStakes) will take place on May 15, 2021.
2021 Preakness Stakes post time
- NBC and fuboTV (7-day free trial) will broadcast the game on Saturday, May 15th at 6:50 p.m. Eastern Time.
The NBC Sports Network will broadcast live coverage of the Preakness Stakes in 2021 beginning at 2 p.m. ET. NBC will take over coverage of the event at 5 p.m. ET, an hour before the projected finish time of 6:50 p.m. ET. You can also watch the Stakes live on fuboTV, which is offering a seven-day free trial period right now.
Preakness Stakes post positions
The following is the complete list of starting positions, as well as the morning line odds for each horse to win the Preakness Stakes.
|7||France Go De Ina||20/1|
Preakness Stakes 2021 winner: Rombauer races to upset win, Derby winner Medina Spirit finishes third
The winner of the Triple Crown race was determined by a surprise for the second consecutive year. Rombauer, who entered the race with 11/1 odds, won the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, pushing past favorites Medina Spirit and Midnight Bourbon to claim the victory down the stretch in Baltimore. The victory marked a pair of firsts for the team who supported the horse. First and foremost, Flavien Prat, the jockey on Rombauer, won the Preakness Stakes for the first race in his professional career, a first for any jockey.
Medina Spirit jumped out to an early lead and maintained it for the most of the match, evoking memories of the Kentucky Derby in the early going.
When Rombauer came out of the middle, he had a second wind that no other horse in the race seemed to have for the final stretch.
2021 Preakness Stakes Payouts
6 – Rombauer:WIN:$25.60PLACE:$10.00SHOW:$5.20 5 – Midnight Bourbon:PLACE:$4.60SHOW:$3.00 6 – Midnight Bourbon:PLACE:$4.60SHOW:$3.00 SHOW:$2.80$2.00 – Medina Spirit:$2.80$2.00 Exacta 6-5 is a statistically significant result. $1.00 98.60 $98.60 6-5-3 is a trifecta. $162.70 $1.00 The superfecta is 6-5-3-2. $1,025.50 Check Out the Latest Posts Pinned Pinned Pinned The horses and riders are on their approach to the starting gate for the Preakness Stakes 146 on Saturday, April 13. Pinned Payouts for the Dinner Party Stakes are as follows: 1 – Somelikeithotbrown:WIN: $7.60PLACE: $4.80SHOW: $4.006 – Talk or Listen:PLACE: $10.60SHOW: $6.20 4 – Midnight Team Time:WIN: $7.60PLACE: $7.20SHOW: $7.20 5 – Midnight Team Time:WIN: $7.60PLACE: $7.20SHOW: $7.20 Pinned ‘Somelikeithotbrown’ was the winner of the Dinner Party Stakes, which was the penultimate race on the undercard on Saturday.
Pinned Hendrix-style rendition of the national anthem may be heard here.
Pinned A statement from Bob Baffert, owner of Medina Spirit, who was involved in the steroid incident involving his horse and Kentucky Derby winner, has been released exclusively.
In order to avoid becoming a distraction from what has always been of fundamental significance – the enjoyment of this beautiful sport and the horses who make it possible – I have decided not to run for office.” Pinned Jody Demling, a horse racing expert, has correctly predicted the winner of the Preakness Stakes nine times in the past sixteen years.
The Derby winner is also fading in this year’s Preakness, but Demling has high hopes for a long shot who “will be coming” down the stretch at Pimlico.
Pinned Pinned That would look great on any mantle or mantel. The 146th running of the Preakness Stakes is scheduled to begin at 6:47 p.m. ET at Pimlico Race Course. Pinned Early races have already begun at Pimlico in preparation for the 146th running of the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, May 5.
Rombauer upsets Medina Spirit to win Preakness
15th of May, 2021 BALTIMORE – Rombauer has left Medina Spirit in the past – and has placed the newest scandal in horse racing on the back burner. Preakness winner Rombauer pulled off an 11-1 surprise on Saturday, overtaking Bob Baffert’s Kentucky Derby winner to put a stop to a prospective Triple Crown attempt that would have been dogged by a large exclamation point if it had happened. After finishing third, Medina Spirit will not be able to compete in the Belmont Stakes, even if a Triple Crown is on the line and a potential Derby disqualification hangs over the sport.
- He chose to remain away because of the issue surrounding Medina Spirit.
- Instead, it is about Medina Spirit and all of the other equine athletes who compete in this incredible sport of horseback riding.” Despite this, all eyes were on Medina Spirit, the 2-1 favorite, as well as Baffert and his second Preakness contender, Concert Tour, who was sent out at 4-1.
- “I was well aware that he was going to be questioned today.
- “Mike Smith, who rode Midnight Bourbon in the Kentucky Derby before switching to Concert Tour for the Preakness, was at a lost for words after winning the Preakness.
- He really wouldn’t budge, and when I put my hands on my hips, he only backed off a little further.
- The results of those three rounds of testing came back on Friday, allowing them to compete.
That money was set aside for at least the 1:53.62 it took Rombauer to complete the 1 3/16-mile event, which paid $26.50 for first place, $10 for second place, and $5.20 for third place overall.
However, it is not known how long this will take.
“He showed up on time.
Moreover, he hasn’t arrived yet, all at the same moment.” A Triple Crown victory and Preakness victory for Rombauer trainer Michael McCarthy, who served as an assistant for Hall of Famer Todd Pletcher before establishing his own stable, marked a first for the trainer.
Unlike Medina Spirit’s Zedan Racing Stables and other horse racing conglomerates, Rombauer is owned by John and Diane Fradkin, who are a world away from Medina Spirit.
As McCarthy spoke about Rombauer and everyone connected with him, tears welled up in her eyes.
“The Fradkins should be pleased.
Flavien Prat won the Preakness two years after being upgraded to the Derby winner atop Country House when Maximum Security was disqualified from the race in the previous year.
“It brings me a great deal of pleasure.” The Preakness was raced in front of a limited capacity of 10,000 people, a fraction of the audience of 100,000 or more that regularly fills Pimlico on the third Saturday in May.
Because to city and track standards, masks were still necessary on the track.
This was a quick turnaround from the 2020 Preakness, which was held last autumn as the third leg of the Triple Crown without the presence of any spectators permitted. This article was written with assistance from the Associated Press.
Rombauer wins Preakness Stakes 2021: Full race, recap, results, payouts
A tense struggle between Medina Spirit and Midnight Bourbon ensued down the homestretch as Rombauers raced away to win the Preakness Stakes at Pimlico in the year 2021. Michael McCarthy will be making his Triple Crown debut with this horse. Flavien Prat made his first appearance in the Preakness Stakes. After Maximum Security was disqualified for interfering with the race, Prat rode Country House to victory in the 2019 Kentucky Derby. Rombauer was sent out at 11-1 and awarded $25.60 for first place, $10.00 for second place, and $5.20 for third place.
- Medina Spirit (2-1) was given $2.80 for the privilege of appearing.
- Rombauer had only competed on dirt three times before to the Preakness, and he had finished last in each of those races.
- Earlier last month, trainer Bob Baffert disclosed that Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit had failed a post-Derby drug test, revealing 21 picograms of the steroid betamethasone.
- Baffert first stated that the horse had never been treated with the medicine, whether it had been 14 days earlier or not.
His immediate suspension from running horses at the track was imposed by Churchill Downs, which also said that “if the findings are maintained, Medina Spirit’s results in the Kentucky Derby would be nullified and Mandalounwill be proclaimed the winner.” Medina Spirit was treated for dermatitis on his hind end with a topical ointment called Otomax, which includes betamethasone, according to Baffert, who confirmed the treatment on Tuesday morning.
- The Stronach Group and the Maryland Jockey Club stipulated a number of requirements before the horse was allowed to compete in the Preakness, among which were stringent pre-race testing.
- Medina Spirit was officially cleared to run in the Preakness on the night before the race.
- Japan-based France Go de Ina, the lone international contender, finished in seventh place overall.
- Wayne Lukas’Ram, the first son of American Pharoah to compete in a Triple Crown competition, came in last place in the race.
- Rombauer, Midnight Bourbon, Medina Spirit, Keepmeinmind, Crowded Trade, Unbridled Honor, France Go de Ina, Risk Taking, Concert Tour, Ram, and many more.
The Belmont Stakes, the last leg of the Triple Crown in 2021, will be broadcast live on NBC, NBCSports.com, and the NBC Sports app on Saturday, June 5, exclusively.
Rombauer wins 2021 Preakness Stakes [VIDEO]
Rombauer stormed down the stretch in the 146th Preakness Stakes to earn the victory despite being an 11-1 outsider in the race. In spite of being considered a favorite, Midnight Bourbon was beaten into second place. The controversial Medina Spirit was forced to come from behind and finish third after slipping off the pace after the turn for home. The pace was a little tepid coming out of the gate, but on the back stretch Midnight Bourbon and Medina Spirit were blocking most of the field down the rail.
Rombauer is the first, costing $25.60 $10.00$5.202nd, Midnight Bourbon is the second, costing $4.60 $3.003rd, Medina Spirit is the third, costing $2.80 $1.00 Exacta 6-5 $49.30 $0.50 Exacta 6-5 $49.30 $0.50 The trifecta of 6-5-3 netted $81.35 and $0.10, respectively. $80.55 on the Superfecta 6-5-3-2
Preakness 2021: Final Results, Standings, Payouts and Replay Highlights
Photograph by Julio Cortez for the Associated Press The Woodlawn Vase was up for grabs in the 146th running of the Preakness Stakes on a bright and beautiful Saturday at Pimlico Race Course, where Rombauer took home the victory in front of a capacity audience of 10,000 spectators. After passing Medina Spirit and Midnight Bourbon in the last stretch, Rombauer was able to pull off the surprise victory. He finished the 1 3/16-mile track in 1:53.62 minutes and 52 seconds. The Preakness Stakes can be found at PreaknessStakes.com.
- Preakness146 Due to a decision by Michael W.
- Ahead of the race on Saturday morning, Medina Spirit, who had won the Kentucky Derby on May 1 and was ridden by Bob Baffert, was the 9-5 favorite.
- As a result, Baffert was suspended from Churchill Downs and the horse was subjected to public scrutiny.
- Medina Spirit is the sixth Baffert-trained horse to fail a drug test in less than a year, making him the most recent.
- Kentucky officials are awaiting the findings of a second sample to be returned.
- One of the favorites entering into the middle jewel, Concert Tour, was also trained by Baffert.
- The prize for the Preakness Stakes has been decreased to $1 million this year, down from $1.5 million last year and $1.65 million in 2019.
Results and payouts for the Preakness Stakes in 2021.
France Goes to Ina8.
9 Ram is tenth.
NBC Sports (@NBCSports) is on Twitter.
In the stretch at @PimlicoRC!, Rombauer overtook Medina Spirit and Midnight Bourbon.
Rombauer shocks the world with an amazing victory in the Preakness Stakes 146!
Take a look at the TwinSpiresReplay. The money for the Preakness Stakes is the smallest of all of the Triple Crown races this year. There was a purse of $3 million for the Kentucky Derby, and a prize of $1.5 million will be awarded in the Belmont Stakes. Preakness.com provides the odds.
Preakness 2021 Video Replay, Highlights and Recap of Rombauer’s Win
Horsephotos courtesy of Getty Images Rombauer, a 12-1 underdog in the Preakness Stakes on Saturday at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, pulled off a surprising upset to win the 2021 Preakness Stakes on Saturday. NBC Sports (@NBCSports) is on Twitter. The @PreaknessStakes has been won by ROMBAUER! brbr During the last stretch of the @PimlicoRC, Rombauer passed Medina Spirit and Midnight Bourbon! pic.twitter.com/sfQmuO1Qjc Kentucky Medina Spirit, the Derby winner, and Midnight Bourbon, the second-place finisher, were out in front for practically the whole race after powerful starts out of the gate.
- France Go de Ina nearly challenged the two leaders when he gained position on the inside rail approximately halfway through the race and managed to keep pace with them for a small period of time after that.
- Rombauer, on the other hand, came on strong with a hard attack on the outside and cruised to the victory in the last laps.
- Midnight Bourbon came in second place, with Medina Spirit coming in third.
- Preakness.com provides the odds.
Watch Rombauer win 2021 Preakness with a dramatic, last-second pass
In the 146th running of the Preakness Stakes on Saturday at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Rombauer prevailed over Midnight Bourbon and Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit, who were both in the lead late in the race. Medina Spirit, the favorite despite the doping allegations involving trainer Bob Baffert that erupted last week, as well as Midnight Bourbon, got out to a fast start in the first race. And as long as Medina Spirit held a little edge, it appeared as though the horse may win the first two legs of the Triple Crown of horse racing.
Midnight Bourbon had moved just ahead of Medina Spirit in the final stretch, but Rombauer raced out from the outside and appeared to easily blow by the two late frontrunners, according to the results of the race.
Midnight Bourbon came in second place, followed by Medina Spirit in third place, and KeepMeInMind in fourth place, respectively.
Rombauer Wins 2021 Preakness Stakes
Rombauer, trained by Mike McCarthy, won the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, taking first place in the 146th running of the race. During the race at Pimlico Race Course, the thoroughbred, ridden by Flavien Prat, finished slightly ahead of Midnight Bourbon, ending Medina Spirit’s ambition to become the 14th horse to win the Triple Crown. Midnight Bourbon and Medina Spirit came in second and third place, respectively, in the competition. It was only possible to bring in 10,000 people, but the Derby, which took place a few weeks earlier, drew 51,838 people, making it the highest turnout at an American athletic event since the epidemic began.
- The Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit, as well as two of Bob Baffert’s other horses, awaited clearance to run in the Preakness Stakes, resulting in more controversy than in prior years coming up to race day.
- In order to allow the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission to undertake an inquiry, Churchill Downs Racetrack has placed Baffert on administrative leave.
- This isn’t the first time Baffert has been embroiled in a drug-related controversy.
- In the month leading up to this year’s Kentucky Derby, Baffert was successful in his appeal, claiming that the positive tests were caused by a discomfort patch worn by his aide, who saddled the horses.
- All three horses passed the tests and were permitted to run in the race.
During the Preakness, Medina Spirit and Concert Tour competed against one other, while Beautiful Gift competed in the George E. Mitchell Black-Eyed Susan Stakes against Medina Spirit. More coverage of horse racing may be found at:
- It’s a bittersweet experience for Forde to be heading to the Preakness Stakes
- Rosenberg: The Cancel Culture is on its way to take down the horses, and Bob Baffert isn’t having it. A Saturation Point has been reached in Bob Baffert’s rapidly diminishing credibility
- Bob Baffert has turned the Medina Spirit controversy into a circus
Why your horse can – and can’t – win the 2021 Preakness at Pimlico
BALTIMORE (AP) — Although there is a lot of excitement around Saturday’s Preakness at Pimlico Race Course, the field itself may be described as less than exciting. Among the horses who raced in the Run for the Roses was Medina Spirit, the controversial Kentucky Derby winner, who is one of just three who have made the trek north for the second leg of the Triple Crown, which takes place on Saturday in Belmont Park. Sixth and seventh place go to Midnight Bourbon and Keepmeinmind, respectively. In fact, Medina Spirit and Ram are the only two horses in the 10-horse field that have won in the past, with Ram’s victory coming in a one-mile allowance race on Derby Day at Churchill Downs in Kentucky.
There have also been just three horses to win anything more significant than a Grade 3 prize — Medina Spirit (Grade 1 Kentucky Derby), Concert Tour (Grade 2 San Vicente and Rebel), and Keepmeinmind (Grade 3 San Vicente and Rebel) (Grade 2 Kentucky Jockey Club as a 2-year-old).
Is it possible that a surprise is on the way?
One horse is bound to be incorrect.
1. Ram (30-1 odds)
* Why he has a chance to win: Trainer D. Wayne Lukas has six Preakness triumphs to his credit, including a win in 2013 with the 15-1 long shot Oxbow. “The Coach” understands what it takes to win at Pimlico Race Course. * Why he won’t be able to:His speed stats will have to improve significantly in order to compete with the best in this sector.
2. Keepmeinmind (15-1)
* Why he has a chance to win: He is one of the rare horses in the Kentucky Derby that started late, rebounding from last place early on to finish seventh. He is unable to because of the following reasons: The 3-year-old has run three races and has never finished higher than sixth or been within eight lengths of the winning horse.
3. Medina Spirit (9-5)
In the five years before to last year’s modified Triple Crown schedule, Baffert was 5 for 5 when it came to Kentucky Derby victors going on to win the Preakness Stakes. Perhaps he will be able to rekindle that magic. Let me tell you a tale about betamethasone to explain why he can’t. The racing gods will be keeping an eye on everything.
4. Crowded Trade (10-1)
When it comes to winning the Preakness, the trio of Klaravich Stables (owner), Chad Brown (trainer), and Javier Castellano (jockey) did it with a relatively unknown colt named Cloud Computing in 2017, and they’ll look to do it again with Crowded Trade, who has never finished worse than third in his three career starts. He is unable to because of the following reasons: Since then, the horses that defeated him in the Gotham and Wood Memorial races haven’t done much, and he appeared to have taken a step back in the Wood Memorial.
5. Midnight Bourbon (5-1)
* Why he has a chance to win: He is the most expensive horse in the race ($525,000) and the most intimidating (more than 16 hands tall). The horse’s trainer, Steve Asmussen, has stated that he will take the horse to the track on Saturday. His horse, he explained, “is a lot of horse, and I’m probably the biggest person in the stable.” * He is unable to because of the following reasons: There has only been one win in six graded stakes races.
He possesses skill, but can you truly put your faith in him to run his greatest race yet this time?
6. Rombauer (12-1)
* Why he has a chance to win: During his third-place performance in the Blue Grass, he shown some adaptability by racing towards the front after spending much of his career as a closer. Is it possible that this one is finally getting it?* He is unable to because of the following reasons: The fact that the team is 0 for 3 on dirt is difficult to overlook. His two triumphs were on the turf at Del Mar and on the synthetic at Golden Gate.
7. France Go de Ina (20-1)
* Why he has a chance to win: Although he has never raced in Europe, his lineage includes a champion sire (Will Take Charge) and damsire (Curlin), both of whom won the Preakness in 2007. * Why he can’t: His two victories in Japan were impressive, but his sixth-place result in the UAE Derby left much to be desired. When you include in the journey to and from the United States, this one is a tough pass.
8. Unbridled Honor (15-1)
* Why he has a chance to win:King Fury was a popular horse before he was scratched from the Kentucky Derby, and this horse finished 2 34 lengths behind him in the Lexington at Keeneland on Saturday. He appears to be moving in the correct direction. * He is unable to because of the following reasons: Todd Pletcher, the trainer who was just inducted into the Hall of Fame, has had success in practically every major race. The Preakness, with a record of 0 for 9, is not one of them.
9. Risk Taking (15-1)
This horse scratched out of last week’s Peter Pan at Belmont to race here, which indicates that trainer Chad Brown has been impressed with what he’s been witnessing. Finished second and third in back-to-back victories at Aqueduct over the winter. * Reasons why he can’t: His seventh-place result in the Wood was a significant step back, notwithstanding the fact that he struggled at the start. A significant improvement in order to compete with the finest of these is required.
10. Concert Tour (5-2)
- *Why he has a chance to win:He is perhaps the most gifted horse in the field. A sad third-place finish in the Arkansas Derby ended his winning streak, but he appears to have put it behind him after a run of good breezes at Churchill. * He is unable to because of the following reasons: With Medina Spirit and Midnight Bourbon in his system, that No. 10 post isn’t the best choice. Jason Frakes can be reached at 502-582-4046 or [email protected]
- His Twitter handle is @KentuckyDerbyCJ.
2021 Preakness Stakes – Wikipedia
|Grade I stakes race|
|“The Middle Jewel of the Triple Crown” “The Run for the Black-Eyed Susans”|
|Location||Pimlico Race CourseBaltimore,Maryland,U.S.|
|Date||May 15, 2021|
|Distance||1 +3 ⁄ 16mi (9.5 furlongs; 1,900 m)|
|Trainer||Michael W. McCarthy|
The Preakness Stakes in 2021 was the 146th running of the Preakness Stakes, a Grade I stakes race for three-year-old Thoroughbreds run over a distance of 1 +3 16 miles in Baltimore, Maryland (1.9 km). Taking place at Pimlico Event Course in Baltimore, Maryland, the race is a leg of the American Triple Crown and is one of the most prestigious horse races in the world. The Preakness Stakes is contested on the third Saturday in May, two weeks after the Kentucky Derby, and is the most prestigious horse race in the world.
EDT on May 15, 2021, the Preakness Stakes was broadcast live on NBC, with coverage provided by NBC Sports.
Due to the ravages of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020edition was held outside of its usual May schedule, with the last leg of theTriple Crown being played on October 3, with no spectators in attendance. The Preakness will be limited to 10,000 people, according to an announcement made late in March 2021 by the race’s organizers. On May 1, 2021, the Triple Crown races resumed their original order and timetable, with Medina Spirit taking home the Kentucky Derby victory.
Medina Spirit’s trainer, Bob Baffert, stated that the horse will be entered in the Preakness Stakes shortly after the Derby. It was then revealed that Medina Spirit had tested positive for forbetamethasone, a corticosteroid, during the Derby. The horse is now in danger of being disqualified if the split sample reveals that the positive test was accurate. A deal was reached with Pimlico to allow Medina Spirit to compete in the Preakness on the condition that he submit to blood tests, monitoring, and a review of his medical records prior to the race; criteria that Medina Spirit met with flying colors.
Also ruled out of the Preakness was Essential Quality, who had been the pre-race favorite until placing fourth in the Derby on Saturday.
Midnight Bourbon was predicted to be the third betting favorite after finishing sixth in the Derby, second in the Louisiana Derby, and winning the Lecomte Stakes.
The post-position draw was place on May 11, according to the schedule.
During the time period in question, the top betting favorites were Medina Spirit, Midnight Bourbon, and Concert Tour, in that order of precedence. Midnight Bourbon and Medina Spirit were the co-favorites in the betting at 5-2 apiece at the time of the post.
|Finish||Program Number||Horse||Trainer||Jockey||Morning Line Odds||Final Odds||Margin(Lengths)||Winnings|
|1||6||Rombauer||Michael W. McCarthy||Flavien Prat||12–1||11.80||—||$1,000,000|
|2||5||Midnight Bourbon||Steve Asmussen||Irad Ortiz Jr.||5–1||3.10||3.6||$600,000|
|3||3||Medina Spirit||Bob Baffert||John Velazquez||9–5||2.40||5.6||$200,000|
|4||2||Keepmeinmind||Robertino Diodoro||David Cohen||15–1||14.50||9.7||$110,000|
|5||4||Crowded Trade||Chad Brown||Javier Castellano||10–1||8.50||12.4||$60,000|
|6||8||Unbridled Honor||Todd Pletcher||Luis Saez||15–1||13.70||17.2||$30,000|
|7||7||France Go de Ina||Hideyuki Mori||Joel Rosario||20–1||24.60||17.6|
|8||9||Risk Taking||Chad Brown||Jose Ortiz||15–1||14.30||23.5|
|9||10||Concert Tour||Bob Baffert||Mike Smith||5–2||3.70||34.2|
|10||1||Ram||D. Wayne Lukas||Ricardo Santana Jr.||30–1||15.90||36.8|
- $1 Exacta (6–5): $49.30
- $1 Trifecta (6–5–3): $162.70
- $1 Superfecta (6–5–3–2): $1,025.50
- $1 Super High Five (6–5–3–2–4): $49.30
- $1 Super High Five (6–5–3–2–4): $49.30 $4,857.80
The following is the source: Times: one four mile time of zero twenty-three seventy-seven seconds; one two mile time of zero forty-six-thirty-three seconds; three four mile time of one hundred and ninety seconds; mile time of one hundred and thirty-seven seconds; final time of one hundred and fifty-two seconds. For each quarter-mile, the following splits were recorded: (:23.77), (:23.16), (:24.04), (:23.81), (:18.84 for the final3 16).
- Equibase.com, May 15, 2021. “Pimlico Race 13 Preakness Stakes.” Equibase.com, May 15, 2021. Melissa Hoppert (May 15, 2021)
- Retrieved May 15, 2021
- (May 15, 2021). “Rombauer is the winner of the Preakness Stakes.” The New York Times is a newspaper published in New York City. Paulick, Ray (May 15, 2021)
- (May 15, 2021). In a powerful stretch run, Rombauer upsets the 146th Preakness Stakes. paulickreport.com. Walker and Childs (Walker and Childs, 2021)
- (September 2, 2020). “The Preakness will be run without fans as Maryland continues to deal with the coronavirus outbreak,” the Baltimore Sun reports. The Baltimore Sun is a newspaper based in Baltimore, Maryland. Hegarty, Matt (September 2, 2020)
- Retrieved September 2, 2020
- (March 23, 2021). “Attendees to the Preakness are limited to 10,000.” Form for the day’s racing. “$1,000 Medina Spirit Gives Baffert A Record Seventh Set Of Roses
- Velazquez Rides Oaks-Derby Double,” according to the article published on May 2, 2021. The Paulick Report will be released on May 1, 2021. Retrieved on May 2, 2021
- AbWalker and Childs (May 4, 2021). “As the field for the Preakness on May 15 takes form, the Concert Tour has arrived and Essential Quality has left.” On May 4, 2021, the Baltimore Sun published an article by Jason Frakes entitled “Preakness Stakes 2021: Medina Spirit draws the third post and begins as a 9-5 favorite.” Whyno, Stephen, et al., eds., USA TODAY, retrieved May 12, 2021
- (May 15, 2021). “Medina Spirit passes drug testing and is cleared to compete in the Preakness Stakes, which is returning to semi-normal,” says the trainer. WLS-TV.AP. The original version of this article was published on Inabinett, Mark (May 15, 2021)
- Retrieved on May 15, 2021
- Inabinett, Mark (May 10, 2021). Retrieved on May 12, 2021, from “Preakness Stakes: Meet the competitors, watch them run”.al.com. Greg Ng is a professor of English at the University of Southern California (April 22, 2021). “Preakness primer: Everything you need to know about the race in 2021,” according to the article. WBAL-TV. May 4, 2021
- Retrieved on May 4, 2021
- Pat Forde is a writer who lives in New York City (May 15, 2021). Following Baffert’s death, a cloud hangs over his barn for a little longer. Sports Illustrated is a magazine dedicated to sports. On October 10, 2021, gmaxequine.com published the article “PIMLICO 1847 Race 13”. Gmax Technology Ltd. is a private limited company based in Hong Kong. The deadline is May 15, 2021. 15th of May, 2021, was the date of retrieval. Measurements in back
- Horseracing.net/us has a summary of the results from the Pimlico race. On May 16, 2021, I was able to get a hold of Race 13
- Preakness Stakes 2021 (Full Race) from NBC Sports through YouTube
- Official website
- Preakness Stakes 2021 (Full Race) from NBC Sports via YouTube
Essential Quality wins 2021 Belmont Stakes
It has been announced that Essential Quality has won the 2021 Belmont Stakes, capping out this year’s Triple Crown racing season. Essential Quality entered the race as the favorite with 9-5 odds, while Romauer, the Preakness Stakes winner, was assigned 6-1 odds shortly prior to the start of the race on Saturday afternoon. The Belmont Stakes returned to its traditional position as the last leg of the Triple Crown this year after being staged as the first of the three races in 2020 due to the coronavirus epidemic, which forced the order of the races to be reversed.
In order to meet with New York coronavirus limitations, which limit venue capacity to 33 percent, attendance for this year’s event was previously limited to 11,000 spectators.
During the 153rd running of the Belmont Stakes at Belmont Park on June 5, 2021 in Elmont, New York, Luis Saez celebrates atop Essential Quality, who had previously won the race.
Following the horse’s failure to pass two post-race drug tests, Medina Spirit’s Kentucky Derby victory is also in doubt.
Mandaloun did not race in the Preakness Stakes because of a hamstring injury.
Churchill Downs, the racetrack where the Kentucky Derby is held, has subsequently placed him on a two-year ban from the facility.
Download our Free App
For Breaking NewsAnalysis, click here. Install the CBS News mobile application for free. Thanks for taking the time to read CBS NEWS. Create a free account or log in to access other features. Please provide your email address in order to proceed. Please provide a valid email address in order to proceed.