Rombauer is owned by John Fradkin and Diane Fradkin. The ownership has not been around for that long but their earnings sit above $1million following the Preakness success.
- Rombauer is owned by John and Diane Fradkin, a far cry from Medina Spirit’s Zedan Racing Stables and other horse racing conglomerates. He won for the third time in seven starts. McCarthy choked back tears while talking about everyone involved with Rombauer.
Where is Rombauer horse from?
Rombauer is a bay colt who was foaled on April 17, 2018 at Machmer Hall in Paris, Kentucky. He was bred by John and Diane Fradkin, and races for them as a homebred.
Who owns Rombauer Preakness?
Barbara D. LivingstonRombauer wins the 2021 Preakness, his biggest career victory, by 3 1/2 lengths. Rombauer, last year’s Preakness winner, was announced as retired Monday in a press release by John Fradkin, who bred and owns the colt with his wife, Diane.
Is Rombauer a California horse?
Southern California Shipper Rombauer Tops Saturday’s El Camino Real Derby. Earlier in the fall, Rombauer finished as the runner up in the Grade 1 American Pharoah Stakes at Santa Anita. The current leading rider at the Golden Gate Winter/Spring meet, Kyle Frey, picks up the mount for trainer Michael McCarthy.
How much did the horse Rombauer cost?
So the Fradkins sent Rombauer to train at Santa Anita Park in Southern California with Michael McCarthy, whom they met through a referral about a year after he began his own operation in 2014. “The first reports weren’t positive,” said John, who first purchased Ultrafleet, the granddam of Rombauer, for $10,500 in 1993.
How did the horse Rombauer get its name?
Rombauer, the horse named after a vineyard, now goes by the new name: Preakness Stakes champion.
What races has Rombauer won?
Rombauer finished his career with three victories in eight races. He won on dirt in the Preakness after breaking his maiden on turf at Del Mar, and winning on Tapeta in the El Camino Real Derby at Golden Gate. Rombauer was a homebred for John and Diane Fradkin, out of Cashmere, by Cowboy Cal.
Who rode Rombauer?
Hall of Fame jockey John Velazquez will ride John and Diane Fradkin’s Grade 1 Preakness Stakes winner Rombauer in the G1 Belmont Stakes on June 5, replacing Flavien Prat, who rode the Twirling Candy colt to victory in the Triple Crown’s middle leg but committed to ride G1 Kentucky Derby third-place finisher Hot Rod
Who is Mike McCarthy horse trainer?
McCarthy (born February 1, 1971, in Youngstown, Ohio) is an American trainer of Thoroughbred racehorses best known for winning the 2018 Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile with City of Light and the 2021 Preakness Stakes with Rombauer.
Who was jockey on Rombauer?
That did not diminish the feeling of achievement that Rombauer’s trainer, Michael McCarthy, or his jockey, Flavien Prat, felt in the winner’s circle.
Is Rombauer in the Kentucky Derby?
Panadol and Rombauer horses will not run in Kentucky Derby 2021.
What number was Rombauer horse?
Jockey Flavien Prat, #6, riding Rombauer, celebrates as he wins the 146th running of the Preakness Stakes at Pimlico Race Course on Saturday in Baltimore.
Is Rombauer horse a male or female?
This is the same female line as four-time Group 1-winning English champion Roaring Lion. Rombauer has shown marked improvement since moving to the main surface following his second career outing. He has posted decent Brisnet Speed figures of 89-93-91 in his last trio of performances.
How fast did Rombauer run the Preakness?
Rombauer surged past Midnight Bourbon and Medina Spirit in the stretch at Pimlico Race Course to pull off an upset in the Preakness Stakes. Trained by Michael McCarthy and ridden by Flavien Prat, the colt covered the 1 3/16 miles on a fast dirt track in 1:53.62.
What place did Rombauer finish in the Kentucky Derby?
Rombauer, ridden by Flavien Prat, did not race in the Kentucky Derby after finishing third in the Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland.
Rombauer – Wikipedia
|Foaled||April 17, 2018|
|Trainer||Michael W. McCarthy|
|El Camino Real Derby(2021)Triple Crown Racewins:Preakness Stakes(2021)|
|Last updated on June 5, 2021|
Rombauer (foaled April 17, 2018) is a thoroughbred racehorse from the United States who won the Preakness Stakes in 2021.
Rombauer is a bay colt that was born on April 17, 2018 at Machmer Hall in Paris, Kentucky. He is the son of Rombauer and Rombauer II. In addition to racing for the Fradkins, he was bred by them and competes as a homebred horse. Because Ultrafleet had been a relative failure on the racecourse, the Fradkins had been tiny breeders since 1997, when they removed him from competition. The mare went on to become a successful producer, with descendants includingBreeders’ Cup Turf SprintwinnerCalifornia Flagand Cambiocorsa, who went on to win many graded races and was the mother ofRoaring Lion.
He was her fourth foal, and all of her foals had been winners.
However, because to the COVID-19 epidemic, the auction was postponed, and the Fradkins opted to retain the colt instead of selling him.
Rombauer’s first start was on July 25, 2020, in a special weight race at Del Marover over a distance of one mile on the turf, in which he finished second. In the beginning, he broke slowly and was near the back of the field when the field turned into the stretch. His acceleration was swift and he won the race by half a length when still in sixth position with a furlong remaining. Rombauer finished sixth in the Del Mar Juvenile Turf Stakes on September 7 after being knocked from the starting gate at the start.
- Rombauer was a longshot at odds of 12-1 in a field of seven, with Spielberg the overwhelming favorite and the heavy favorite.
- The last bend saw him swing four wide and finish in fifth place after three-quarters of a mile of racing.
- Speilberg finished third, a further 4 +3 4lengths behind the winner.
- He was given 26-1 odds in a field of 14, which was quite deep.
Despite being in the early going, he was a long way behind the leaders, trailing them by 13 lengths after half a mile. He was still in eighth place after being forced to race three to five wide through the final bend, but he closed well in the last furlong to take fifth place.
2021: three-year-old campaign
A synthetic “all weather” surface was used for the El Camino Real Derby at Golden Gate Fields on February 13, 2021, where Rombauer made his three-year-old debut. The race was place at Golden Gate Fields on a synthetic “all weather” surface. In a field of eight, he was the 6-5 favorite going into the game. He was way behind in the early going, but he went wide through the last turn to come into contention once more in the closing stages. His consistent effort down the stretch helped him close out the race and beat Javanica by a neck.
- “However, when he approached the three-eighths pole, he began to level out, and then he began to barrel down.
- John Fradkin indicated that this “was mostly an ABB choice,” which means that he did not want to be associated with Bob Baffert(ABB) and his brilliant stable of horses while preparing horses for the Kentucky Derby.
- Rombauer was ignored in the field of nine, despite having odds of 24-1.
- However, he missed his customary closing pace and finished in third place, trailing by 5 +3 4 lengths at the finish.
- “Rombauer’s racing style is incompatible with the type of horse that has been winning the Kentucky Derby recently,” John Fradkin remarked.
- It’s likely that if he had run in the Derby, he would have gotten hot and muddy while earning nothing and would have missed the Preakness.
At Pimlico Race Course on May 15, Rombauer was entered in the Preakness Stakes, where he was given odds of 12-1 against a field of 10 horses. Medina Spirit, who had crossed the finish line first in theKentucky Derbybut was facing disqualification due to a positive drug test, was a co-favorite with Midnight Bourbon. Medina Spirit was a co-favorite with Midnight Bourbon. Medina Spirit jumped out to an early lead, but Midnight Bourbon forced them to maintain a consistent pace. Rombauer finished in sixth position, four lengths behind the leader.
After closing swiftly and drawing away, Rombauer won by 3 +1 2 lengths over Midnight Bourbon, with Medina Spirit finishing third, two lengths behind Rombauer.
“I believe his stamina and intelligence are the most important assets he possesses,” McCarthy remarked.
He is a man who will not give up.
Fradkin was also intrigued by the prospect of entering the horse in one or more of the Turf Triple events sponsored by the New York Racing Association during the summer months.
On June 5, Rombauer finished third in the Belmont Stakes at Belmont Park, finishing 12 and a half lengths behind the winner, Essential Quality, who ended 1 and a half lengths ahead of Hot Rod Charlie, who finished second.
|Date||Age||Distance||Race||Grade||Track||Odds||Field||Finish||Winning Time||Winning (Losing) Margin||Jockey||Ref|
|Jul 25, 2020||2||1 mile||Maiden Special Weight||Del Mar||16.70||8||1||1:38.30||+1 ⁄ 2length||Juan Hernandez|
|Sep 7, 2020||2||1 mile||Del Mar Juvenile Turf||Listed||Del Mar||4.10||10||6||1:38.21||(2lengths)||Juan Hernandez|
|Sep 26, 2020||2||1 +1 ⁄ 16miles||American Pharoah Stakes||I||Santa Anita||11.70||7||2||1:44.92||(3 ⁄ 4lengths)||Mike Smith|
|Nov 6, 2020||2||1 +1 ⁄ 16miles||Breeders’ Cup Juvenile||I||Keeneland||26.00||14||5||1:42.09||(6 +1 ⁄ 4lengths)||Javier Castellano|
|Feb 13, 2021||3||1 +1 ⁄ 8miles||El Camino Real Derby||Listed||Golden Gate Fields||1.20*||8||1||1:51.64||Neck||Kyle Frey|
|Apr 3, 2021||3||1 +1 ⁄ 8miles||Blue Grass Stakes||II||Keeneland||24.00||8||3||1:48.50||(5 +3 ⁄ 4lengths)||Florent Geroux|
|May 15, 2021||3||1 +3 ⁄ 16miles||Preakness Stakes||I||Pimlico||11.80||10||1||1:53.62||3 +1 ⁄ 2lengths||Flavien Prat|
|Jun 5, 2021||3||1 +1 ⁄ 2miles||Belmont Stakes||I||Belmont Park||5.60||8||3||2:27.11||(12 +1 ⁄ 2lengths)||John R. Velazquez|
Note: If there is an asterisk (*) following the odds, it indicates that Rombauer was the pre-game favorite. All-Weather Track Dirt Turf (Long Description)
|Sire Twirling Candy||Candy Ride||Ride the Rails||Cryptoclearance|
|Candy Girl||Candy Stripes|
|House of Danzing||Chester House||Mr. Prospector|
|Dam Cashmere||Cowboy Cal||Giant’s Causeway||Storm Cat|
|Texas Tammy||Seeking the Gold|
- Rombauer’s pedigree can be found at www.equibase.com, which was last updated on June 5, 2021
- Ab”Rombauer (KY)”.bloodhorse.com, which was last updated on May 15, 2021
- Ab”Sending Rombauer To Blue Grass ‘Was Primarily An ABB Decision: Avoid Bob Baffert'”. bloodhorse.com, which was last updated on May 15, 2021 The Paulick Report will be released on April 1, 2021. “Rombauer a lucky exception for breeder Fradkin”, The New York Times, May 16, 2021
- Ab”Chart for Del Mar – Race 1 – July 25, 2020″.Equibase. Retrieved16 May 2021
- Ab”Chart for the 2020 Del Mar Juvenile Turf”.Equibase. Retrieved16 May 2021
- Ab”Chart for the 2020 El Camino Real Derby”.Equibase. Retrieved16 May 2021
- Ab (14 February 2021). “Rombauer wins the El Camino Real Derby and earns Derby credibility.” ab”Chart of the 2021 Blue Grass Stakes”.Equibase. Retrieved 16 May2021
- AbcEhalt, Bob. “The Blue Grass Stakes”.Equibase. Retrieved 16 May2021
- AbcEhalt, Bob. “Rombauer upsets the Preakness Stakes”. Retrieved 16 May2021
- Ab”Chart of the 2021 Preakness Stakes”.Equibase. Retrieved 16 May2021
- AbHoppert, Melissa. “Rombauer upsets the Preakness Stakes”. Retrieved 16 May2021
- Ab”Chart of the 2021 Preakness Stakes”.Equibase (May 15, 2021). “Rombauer wins the Preakness Stakes,” The New York Times, May 15, 2021
- Ab”Chart of the Belmont Stakes,” The New York Times, May 15, 2021
- Equibase. The date was June 5, 2021.
Rombauer owners planned to sell horse and now he is Preakness winner
Rombauer, the horse who won the 146th running of the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, has a fascinating past that you should know about. Rombauer, who started the event with 11:1 odds, won the race at Pimlico Race Course after passing Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit. Medina Spirit took third place, with Midnight Bourbon taking second place. [email protected] HAS BEEN WON BY ROMBAUER! pic.twitter.com/Qtn4JP00dj — NBC Sports (@NBCSports) on Twitter 15th of May, 2021 So, what exactly is the situation with Rombauer?
- They consider themselves to be “small-time, commercial breeders,” with the majority of their horses being sold.
- Rombauer, the winner of the Preakness Stakes, is a remarkable story.
- However, because of the epidemic, the sale was postponed, and they decided to keep him and race him.
- Marty Smith (@MartySmithESPN) is a sports writer for ESPN.
- Even though he won the race in Del Mar, the (after proven wrong) time was considered to be poor.
- They continued to run him, and he ended up winning the Preakness in an unlikely fashion.
- The full narrative, as told by Blood Horse, is worth reading.
- Sign up for our free newsletter now.
According to a toxicology report, Colt Brennan, a former Hawaii quarterback, died from an accidental overdose last year; nevertheless, his family has been informed that chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) may have played a part. Brennan suffered with alcohol and drug addiction, which culminated in a felony conviction.
Report reveals how much Aaron Rodgers wants to be paid
Despite the fact that Aaron Rodgers has yet to reveal his plans for the 2022 season, it is possible that this has anything to do with the ongoing contract discussions between him and the Green Bay Packers. If Rodgers does decide to continue playing next season, he has stated that he has no plans to retire.
Hall of Fame boxers Vitali, Wladimir Klitschko will take up arms for Ukraine
Former heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko and his brother, fellow boxing Hall of Famer Wladimir Klitschko, are ready to compete for Ukraine at the upcoming World Boxing Championships in Las Vegas.
Vitali, the mayor of Ukraine’s main city of Kyiv, spoke on ITV’s “Good Morning Ru” program about his work.
Liberty goes viral for video reveal of their new baseball uniforms
Even though the NCAA baseball season has only just begun, Liberty has already claimed the right to claim that it does one thing better than any other team in the country – it shows its players’ uniforms. Liberty University’s new uniforms were presented on Thursday with the help of a video.
Mick Cronin critical of refs after UCLA loss to Oregon
Following UCLA’s defeat to Oregon on Thursday night, coach Mick Cronin expressed his dissatisfaction with the officials. In Eugene, Oregon, the Bruins were defeated by the Ducks, 68-63. Oregon led by five points at the halftime break and went on to win by that margin.
76ers tease James Harden’s debut with great photo
The moment has arrived for James Harden to step up, and the Philadelphia 76ers are ecstatic about the situation. Harden is expected to make his Philadelphia 76ers debut in their game against Minnesota on Friday. The 76ers shared a shot of Harden in profile with the hashtag #Sixers.
Rombauer Horse Pedigree
|TWIRLING CANDY(USA)dkb/br. 2007||CANDY RIDE(ARG)b. 1999||RIDE THE RAILS(USA)b. 1991||CRYPTOCLEARANCE(USA)br. 1984||FAPPIANO(USA)||b. 1977|
|NAVAL ORANGE(USA)||dkb/br. 1975|
|HERBALESIAN(USA)b. 1969||HERBAGER(FR)||b. 1956|
|CANDY GIRL(ARG)ch. 1990||CANDY STRIPES(USA)ch. 1982||BLUSHING GROOM(FR)||ch. 1974|
|BUBBLE COMPANY(FR)||ch. 1977*|
|CITY GIRL(ARG)ch. 1982||FARNESIO(ARG)||b. 1974|
|HOUSE OF DANZING(USA)dkb/br. 2002||CHESTER HOUSE(USA)dkb/br. 1995||MR. PROSPECTOR(USA)b. 1970||RAISE A NATIVE(USA)||ch. 1961|
|GOLD DIGGER(USA)||b. 1962*|
|TOUSSAUD(USA) *br. 1989||EL GRAN SENOR(USA)||b. 1981|
|IMAGE OF REALITY(USA)||b. 1976|
|DANZING CROWN(USA)dkb/br. 1997||DANZIG(USA)b. 1977||NORTHERN DANCER(CAN)||b. 1961|
|PAS DE NOM(USA)||br. 1968|
|CROWNETTE(USA)b. 1989||SEATTLE SLEW(USA)||dkb/br. 1974|
|IN MEMORY(USA)||b. 1985|
|CASHMERE(USA)ch. 2011||COWBOY CAL(USA)br. 2005||GIANTS CAUSEWAY(USA)ch. 1997||STORM CAT(USA)dkb/br. 1983||STORM BIRD(CAN)||b. 1978|
|MARIAH’S STORM(USA)b. 1991||RAHY(USA)||ch. 1985|
|TEXAS TAMMY(USA)dkb/br. 1998||SEEKING THE GOLD(USA)dkb/br. 1985||MR. PROSPECTOR(USA)||b. 1970|
|CON GAME(USA)||dkb/br. 1974*|
|HOT NOVEL(USA)dkb/br. 1986||MARI’S BOOK(USA)||b. 1978|
|QUITE HONESTLY(USA)||ch. 1982|
|ULTRAFLEET(USA)gr. 1992||AFLEET(CAN)ch. 1984||MR. PROSPECTOR(USA)b. 1970||RAISE A NATIVE(USA)||ch. 1961|
|GOLD DIGGER(USA)||b. 1962*|
|POLITE LADY(USA)b. 1977||VENETIAN JESTER(USA)||ch. 1964|
|FRIENDLY WAYS(USA)||b. 1968|
|SOCIAL CONDUCT(USA)gr. 1984||VIGORS(USA)gr. 1973||GREY DAWN(FR)||gr. 1962|
|JOSTLING QUEEN(USA)b. 1970||KNIGHTLY MANNER(USA)||b. 1961|
|DAY O.(USA)||ch. 1965|
Rombauer broke his maiden in his first career start, winning a one-mile grass event at Del Mar on July 25, 2020, to become the first horse in history to do so. After a powerful stretch charge, he won by a half-length for trainer Michael McCarthy and rider Mike Smith, who were both in attendance. After a wide travel in his dirt debut, the Grade 1 American Pharoah Stakes on September 26, Rombauer finished second, less than a length behind the winner. To cap off his 2-year-old season, he finished sixth in the Grade 1 TVG Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Presented by Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance, which was held in New York City.
After a powerful stretch charge, he won by a half-length for trainer Michael McCarthy and rider Mike Smith, who were both in attendance.
To cap off his 2-year-old season, he finished sixth in the Grade 1 TVG Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Presented by Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance, which was held in New York City.
He was last of eight early in the race, but he closed powerfully to reel in game runner-up Javanica near the finish line to win, earning his first career stakes win and earning 10 points toward qualifying for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve in 2021, which he will compete in for the first time.
Taking part in his last preparation for the Kentucky Derby on April 3 in the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland, Rombauer finished a distant third, 5 1/2 lengths behind the winner.
McCarthy has decided to forego the Derby and instead compete in the Preakness Stakes.
The Grade 1 Belmont Stakes was his next event, and he finished third in that race as well.
Rombauer is a two-year-old colt by Cowboy Cal out of the unraced Cashmere mare, who is a half-sister to numerous graded stakes winners California Flag and Cambiocorsa, among others. California Flag was the first-ever winner of the Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint, which took place in 2009.
Preakness Stakes Winner Rombauer Retired; Stud Plans Pending
A training injury sustained on December 31 at Santa Anita Park has forced Rombauer to retire from racing, according to the Daily Racing Form and the Thoroughbred Daily News. Rombauer was the surprise winner of the 2021 Preakness Stakes and was a favorite to win the race. The 4-year-old son of Twirling Candy had not raced since finishing third in the Belmont Stakes last year, and he has been sidelined since then because to ankle problems. In October, he had returned to work with trainer Michael McCarthy, but after taking what owner John Fradkin described as a “poor step” during morning training, the decision was made to put the horse down for the night.
- Rombauer finished his career with three victories in eight starts and earnings of $1,040,500 dollars.
- A victory in the listed El Camino Real Derby at Golden Gate Fields, when he was three years old, secured him a sure berth in the Preakness Stakes in the following year.
- Rombauer entered the Preakness under the radar, since the majority of the interest was focused on Medina Spirit, Midnight Bourbon, and Concert Tour, which were all runners in the race.
- Afterwards, the horse placed third behind Essential Quality in the Belmont Stakes, which would be his final outing of the season.
- Fradkin informed DRF that stud plans for the Preakness winner were still in the works, noting that it was late in the commercial calendar to be negotiating a deal for a new stallion and bringing him to the market.
- Thoroughbred Daily News.
‘Uncomplicated’ Preakness Stakes Winner Rombauer Got His Start At Machmer Hall
At Pimlico Race Course on May 15, 2011, Rombauer (Twirling Candy) won the Preakness Stakes (G1) for the second time. Flavien Prat was the starter, Michael McCarthy was the trainer, and John and Dianne Fradkin were the owners. Carrie Brogden and her Machmer Hall Farm were not listed among the connections for Preakness Stakes winner Rombauer in the track program, but her phone messages burst after the race as if they were. It was at Brogden’s Paris, Ky., farm where the Twirling Candycolt was born and nurtured for owner/breeders John and Diane Fradkin, who housed their tiny broodmare band at Machmer Hall until the land was sold to a private equity firm in late 2018.
- “We had no idea what was going to happen,” she stated.
- I am overjoyed for the Fradkins and their children.
- They had a wonderful mare with a wonderful family, and they had faith in her, which is exactly what owner-breeders should do.” When Rombauer’s dam, the fellow Fradkin mare Cashmere, was bred for classic success, she did not appear to be a promising prospect on the surface.
- Looking at the bottom of her page, however, revealed that Cashmere had been retained in order to continue her bloodline.
- Ultimately, it was the aspect of Cashmere that maintained her in the broodmare band — the great record of production in the female line – that brought financial benefit to the Fradkins and their family.
According to Brogden, “John selected Twirling Candy himself to breed to Cashmere, and what I believe he did was just observe all of the 2-year-old sales and chose what he considered was the greatest value-for-money sire, which was Twirling Candy.” “I don’t want to claim any credit for this mating,” says the protagonist.
- Twirling Candy has proven to be a tremendously successful venture.
- “He was a straightforward individual,” Brogden added.
- As many people have said about high graded stakes winners, he was straightforward and didn’t get in his own way,” says the trainer.
- Despite the fact that they are no longer in business together, Brogden has a positive connection with the Fradkins and has closely tracked the progress of their colt’s development.
- With a win in the El Camino Real Derby, he secured an all-expenses-paid trip to the Kentucky Derby as well as additional Kentucky Derby qualifying points.
- When John opted to forgo the Derby, Brogden expressed her disappointment, despite the fact that he had earned enough points to be included in the field, but she couldn’t dispute with his explanation because she was never one to mince words.
- As history has often demonstrated, doing what was right for the horse was the right decision.
- The mare was bred to Kantharos in preparation for the foaling season in 2021.
“Candy is twirling – be careful,” she warned. “He’s going to blast the doors off the hinges.” Be on the lookout when the next few harvests arrive. “They may be ‘plain Janes,’ but they are all super walkers, and they are going to blast the doors off the hinges when they get older,” says the author.
Another Santa Anita trainer finds glory at Preakness Stakes with Rombauer’s triumph
BALTIMORE (AP) – All of the attention this week at the Preakness Stakes was focused on the trainer from Santa Anita, who was conspicuously absent. However, the race was won by the person who was present. Mired in all of the drama that surrounded Medina Spirit’s positive drug test in the Kentucky Derby, Mike McCarthy just went about his business preparing Rombauer to compete in the second leg of the Triple Crown. He seemed to have done a reasonably excellent job. McCarthy was “stunned” by the outcome of the race.
- “I’m not sure what you’re talking about.” With Medina Spirit in the lead and Midnight Bourbon trailing by a half-length, the race unfolded exactly as predicted.
- While others were distracted by their horses on the bend, Rombauer was going with energy on the outside and blew past the leaders to win by 312 lengths in a calm fashion.
- Baffert elected not to attend the Preakness because of the issue surrounding Medina Spirit’s failed drug test, which has thrown the horse’s Kentucky Derby victory in doubt.
- It was also Flavien Prat’s second Triple Crown victory, but it was the first time he did it by crossing the finish line first.
- In 2019, Prat rode Country House to victory in the Kentucky Derby after Maximum Security was disqualified for interfering with the race.
- The mood is one of a great deal of happiness.
- Midnight Bourbon came second followed by Medina Spirit, Keepmeinmind, Crowded Table, Unbridled Honor, France Go De Ina, Risk Taking, Concert Tour and Ram.
“He appeared like he was traveling awfully well,” McCarthy added.
When he turned up the backside I thought he might be doing a little too much at that point.
… At the eighth pole, it was like an out-of-body experience.” Rombauer trainer Mike McCarthy, left, jockey Flavien Prat, second from left, and horse owners John and Diane Fradkin celebrate after winning the 146th Preakness Stakes on Saturday.
McCarthy wenton his own in 2014 and his biggest success had been winning the Pegasus World Cup in 2019 with City Of Light.
By winning, he was guaranteed an all-expenses trip to the Preakness as part of a promotion by the Stronach Group, which owns Golden Gate, Pimlico, Santa Anita and other tracks.
John and Diane Fradkin, of Santa Ana, had other ideas about what to do with the colt they not only own but also hadbred.
“Jack and Diane thought this was the better route.” The trainer and the owners still don’t agree on the issue of the Kentucky Derby.
“I thought there was a pretty good chance we would not hit the board just because of his running style.” So, the trainer and owner worked it out about not running in the Derby?
“Let’s just leave it at that.” (Will Newton / Associated Press) The conventional thinking is that Rombauer now will head to New York and run in the Belmont Stakes.
“We’ll get them to New York.
We don’t want to jinx it.” Fradkin isn’t as sure as McCarthy.
“That race is three weeks out and the spacing isn’t superb to go a mile-and-a-half with just three weeks of rest.
How long that will last remains to be seen.
Rombauer a Lucky Exception for Breeder Fradkin
When John Fradkin opted to retire Ultrafleet, a mare he had acquired for $10,500 at the 1993 Keeneland September Yearling Sale, he became the first person in the world to enter the breeding business. The mare, who had been unremarkable on the track, would turn out to be a huge success in the breeding shed, producing Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint winner California Flag and multiple graded stakes winner Cambiocorsa, who would go on to become the granddam of 2018 European Horse of the Year Roaring Lion, which he had no idea about at the time.
- Rombauer, a stakes winner on the turf, a grade-1 placed horse on the dirt, and now a stakes winner on the synthetic, is a horse that Fradkin is looking forward to an eventful year with.
- MarketWatch: How did you get involved with Thoroughbreds in the first place?
- When you work in that industry, you adhere to Wall Street hours, which means you finish at 2:00 p.m.
- One of the guys I worked with grew up in the Santa Anita Park area and was well-versed in handicapping.
- We would go to the track every now and again, and it was through this that I learnt the game from a handicapping perspective.
- So, in 1993, I made the decision to claim a horse, which is how I came to work on the owner’s side of the business.
- Ruff Hombre, a 7-year-old gelding, was taken into our possession.
When Ron finally got him back to the races, it took a couple of months, but he eventually won his first race with me as an owner, and I was hooked.
The story of her dam, Ultrafleet, remains a mystery to me.
We had no idea what we were doing, but we engaged a guy to serve as our bloodstock agent, and he guided us through the sale, ultimately leading us to purchase a yearling filly from the Taylor Made consignment by Afleet.
I’m confident that I was the sole bidder.
However, she was not a successful racehorse, and as a result, we chose to retire her and turn her into a broodmare.
Cambiocorsa, who was famed for winning six races in a row down the hill at Santa Anita, and California Flag, who was the winner of a Breeders’ Cup event, were both produced by her.
When you take a look at it today, it’s a large family.
We do not own Cambiocorsa or any of her pups, but we are intimately involved with the family.
Her daughter Vionnet was placed in grade one, and she (Vionnet) went on to produce Roaring Lion, who went on to have an illustrious career.
John Fradkin provided the photograph.
JF: Yes, we do.
The Cairo Prince colt is a stunningly beautiful horse, and it is unquestionably the most beautiful horse we have ever bred.
He’s at Woodstock Farm in Lexington, where he’s with Ben Berger.
JF: We have two of them.
Since then, we’ve had one, two, or three broodmares on average, depending on the season.
Are the bulk of the horses you raise for racing kept in your stables for a long period of time, or are they sold at public auction?
We breed with the purpose of selling.
Our business is small-time commercial breeders, and Rombauer has been an exception to that rule.
Did he ever strike you as a particularly intriguing prospect?
He was a quick learner who was also brilliant.
Our horses are frequently targeted for 2-year-old sales.
That includes Rombauer, who fell under this category.
Eddie, on the other hand, suggested that perhaps we should just keep him instead of selling him.
She had won her first kid in his second start, and her second horse had won in his first start, so we simply assumed we’d race him, hope he wins early, and then prepare to sell him at the track if he didn’t do well.
Rombauer as a foal, with his dam Cashmere in the background.
The first time I saw him, he was winning his first race in July, racing a mile on the grass.
That was the case when he returned home at 22:22 and change.
It’s practically unheard of for a first-time starter to do anything like that.
MW: Rombauer’s accomplishment of winning on both turf and synthetic surfaces, as well as being a grade 1-placed finisher on dirt, is rather unusual.
He’s a horse with a lot of potential.
If he stays sound and healthy, this could be a really enjoyable year for him.
It’s entertaining to ruminate about it.
Was this the first time you’ve bred a horse with the potential to be a contender on the Derby trail?
One unique aspect of Rombauer’s background is that he comes from a fantastic family, but if you look at the family’s history closely, you’ll find that 99 percent of the family’s success has occurred on the turf.
His sibling Treasure Trove is likewise capable of running on dirt, but Rombauer has outperformed his brother.
In the early hours of one morning last year, he remarked to me, “I believe the horse is training well on the dirt and the race is coming up light, so what do you think?” And I responded, “Sure, if you believe it’s worth it.” However, by the time he asked me this question, he had already nominated the horse for that particular race, which was something I would never have thought to do myself.
With this horse, we’re on a completely new route, and it’s quite exciting to be on.
Rombauer pulls Preakness upset, Baffert’s Medina Spirit 3rd
(AP)– Rombauer had left Medina Spirit in the past — and had placed the new issue in horse racing on the back burner. Preakness winner Rombauer pulled off an 11-1 surprise on Saturday, overtaking Bob Baffert’s Kentucky Derby winner to put a stop to a prospective Triple Crown attempt that would have been dogged by a large exclamation point if it had happened. After finishing third, Medina Spirit will not be able to compete in the Belmont Stakes, even if a Triple Crown is on the line and a potential Derby disqualification hangs over the sport.
- He chose to remain away because of the issue surrounding Medina Spirit.
- Despite this, all eyes were on Medina Spirit, the 2-1 favorite, as well as Baffert and his second Preakness contender, Concert Tour, who was sent out at 4-1.
- “I had to come out rushing in order to get my position,” said Medina Spirit jockey John Velazquez, who finished the Preakness with a 0 for 11 record.
- I was praying he wouldn’t go overboard, but he did, and so did we.” Concert Tour finished eighth in a field of ten horses, which was disappointing.
- “I’m at a loss for words.” “He just wasn’t going anywhere,” says the narrator.
- The results of those three rounds of testing came back on Friday, allowing them to compete.
- That money was set aside for at least the 1:53.62 it took Rombauer to complete the 1 3/16-mile event, which paid $26.50 for first place, $10 for second place, and $5.20 for third place overall.
“He showed up on time.
In addition, he hasn’t arrived yet, all at the same moment.” Midnight Bourbon finished sixth in the Kentucky Derby, trailing only Medina Spirit, whose triumph is still up in the air because a second test has not to be completed and reviewed.
Trainer Michael McCarthy won his first Triple Crown race and took home the Preakness before Hall of Famer Todd Pletcher, for whom he had previously served as an assistant before establishing his own stable.
Unlike Medina Spirit’s Zedan Racing Stables and other horse racing conglomerates, Rombauer is owned by John and Diane Fradkin, who are a world away from Medina Spirit.
As McCarthy spoke about Rombauer and everyone connected with him, tears welled up in her eyes.
“Congratulations to the Fradkins.
Flavien Prat won the Preakness two years after being upgraded to the Derby winner atop Country House when Maximum Security was disqualified from the race in the previous year.
“It brings me a great deal of pleasure.” The Preakness was raced in front of a limited capacity of 10,000 people, a fraction of the audience of 100,000 or more that regularly fills Pimlico on the third Saturday in May.
Because to city and track standards, masks were still necessary on the track.
_More Associated Press sports: and2021 According to the Associated Press. All intellectual property rights are retained. This work may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written consent of the author(s).
Against the odds, Rombauer and owners with Fresno ties can take 2nd jewel in Triple Crown
145th Preakness Stakes horse race winner Rombauer is congratulated by his trainer Michael McCarthy, left, jockey Flavien Prat, second from left, and horse owners John Fradkin and Diane Fradkin after winning the race on Saturday, May 15, 2021, at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore. AP In order to make money, John and Diane Fradkin needed to sell their house. That was the idea all along. A tiny commercial thoroughbred breeding enterprise, they have two broodmares, Cashmere in Kentucky and Letthepartybegin at Old English Rancho in Sanger, California.
They tried twice with a colt named Rombauer, and after becoming intrigued by his talent and temperament at some point, they buckled up and settled in for a ride that for now is highlighted by a win in the Preakness Stakes and includes a 1 1/2-mile trip in the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, with a chance to win two-thirds of the Triple Crown in his favor.
- However, the Fradkin’s consignor stated that the sale might be delayed or might not happen at all because of the pandemic.
- They did just that, assigning Rombauer to trainer Michael McCarthy for the duration of the season.
- Rombauer was a 16/1 long shot coming into the race.
- However, as it turned out, the final time was a lethargic 1:38.3, which was caused by a timing failure.
- “We were able to do it because our trainer suggested it,” she stated.
- That’s a big part of how we ended up here.
3-year-old Triple Crown campaign
Following a fifth-place finish in the Breeder’s Cup Juvenile at Keeneland to close off 2020, they started their 3-year-old campaign with a narrow victory in the El Camino Real Derby on the synthetic surface at Golden Gate Fields to begin 2019. A number of races were available to them from that point on, including the Santa Anita Derby, the Wood Memorial, and the Arkansas Derby. ‘We attempted to handle the horse as best we could given the information we had at the time,’ Diane Fradkin explained.
We might have ran our best race and still come in fourth or fifth, and, furthermore, winning is more fun than coming in fifth.” A well-beaten third behind Essential Quality and Highly Motivated in the Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland dampened any Derby Fever that may have arisen from the choice.
- The Fradkins, on the other hand, decided to aim the horse toward the Preakness Stakes.
- Before COVID-19 threw the racing schedule into disarray in 2020, when was the last occasion a horse won the Preakness and Belmont after being disqualified from the Kentucky Derby field?
- From 1932 through 2019, the Triple Crown races were held in the same order: the Kentucky Derby was first, followed by the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes.
- Although many people thought we were insane at the time, it came up again: ‘He might run his finest race and come in ninth, and we would say to ourselves, ‘Well, that was fun.'” Diane Fradkin shared her thoughts.
- The three-year-olds are all reaching their developmental peaks at various times, and they are all growing.
- There were none prior to the race, and there were none following it.
- “It’s a difficult industry,” Diane Fradkin said.
The excitement of such events keeps you involved in the sport, and there’s always something new to look forward to, whether it’s the next race, the next mating you’re organizing, or the birth of the next foal. “There is a great deal of optimism.
Classic Winner Rombauer Retired
Their 3-year-old campaign began with a narrow victory in the El Camino Real Derby, held on a synthetic track at Golden Gate Fields, before they tried their luck in the Breeder’s Cup Juvenile at Keeneland to round off the year. A variety of races awaited them, including the Santa Anita Derby, the Wood Memorial, and the Arkansas Derby, to name a few. “We did the best we could with the horse with the information we had at the time,” Diane Fradkin said. A number of good horses were on the track early this year at Santa Anita and some of those races were coming up pretty challenging,” said the trainer.
Kevin McCarthy wished to compete in the Kentucky Derby, and Rombauer possessed all of the necessary points to do so.
If Rombauer ends up in the winner’s circle on Saturday, the significance of that choice will be amplified even further.
When it came to its ties, it was either Pillory or a stalemate in 1922.
It was the first time the Derby and Preakness were held on the same day (May 13) in 1922, though.
” His greatest performance came in the Preakness, and I believe he was just coming into his own as a horse at that point.
He’s starting to get into shape, and maybe he can maintain it.” Whatever happens on Saturday, there will be no second thoughts about the Derby.
Rombauer’s owners didn’t believe it was the greatest match for the horse, but whether it was luck or the fickle nature of the sport, things have a way of working out in the end with him.
” The excitement of such events keeps you involved in the sport, and there’s always something new to look forward to, whether it’s the next race, the next mating you’ve planned, or the birth of the next foal. Lots of people are feeling upbeat.”