- What horse is favored to win the Kentucky Derby? Cox’s Essential Quality is the 2-1 favorite in the latest 2021 Kentucky Derby odds, while Mandaloun and Baffert’s Medina Spirit are both 15-1. Midnight Bourbon (20-1) and Super Stock (30-1) also are long shots to finish at the front of the 19-horse 2021 Kentucky Derby field.
What are the horses in the 2021 Kentucky Derby?
2021 Kentucky Derby Lineup
- Known Agenda 6-1.
- Like the King 50-1.
- Brooklyn Strong 50-1.
- Keepmeinmind 50-1.
- Sainthood 50-1.
- O Besos 20-1.
- Mandaloun 15-1.
- Medina Spirit 15-1.
How many horses are in the Kentucky Derby?
20 horses compete in the Kentucky Derby, which is a larger field size than most horse races; where on average 8 horses race against one another.
Did the 2021 Kentucky Derby winner get disqualified?
Medina Spirit, the winner of the 2021 Kentucky Derby before being disqualified for multiple failed drug tests, died of an apparent heart attack suffered during a morning workout at Santa Anita Park Monday (December 6) morning, CBS Los Angeles reports.
Which horse died after Kentucky Derby?
Kentucky Derby winning horse dies after workout routine Medina Spirit, who failed a drug test after he won the Kentucky Derby this year, died during a workout Monday morning in California. The horse collapsed in training at Santa Anita and suffered an apparent heart attack, his trainer, Bob Baffert, said.
Are there any gray horses in the Kentucky Derby?
A gray horse hasn’t won the Derby since Giacomo in 2005, and only eight grays have won it since 1930. According to historians and experts, there are just fewer gray horses in the thoroughbred population compared to more traditional chestnut, bay, brown and black horses.
What does the winning horse receive?
At the track in our example, the payout is the standard rate; 60% of the purse typically goes to the winner, 20% to second place, 10% to third, 5% to 4th, 3% to 5th, and 2% to 6th. So if the purse is $10,000, the winning horse is paid $6000. Ten percent of that goes to the trainer and 10% to the Jockey.
How much is Medina Spirit worth?
Even crazier, just two years after being acquired at auction for $1,000, Medina Spirit is most likely now worth more than $50 million. With less than 5% of all racehorses earning more than $100,000 annually, the sport of horse racing has long been considered a fun but money-burning experience reserved for elites.
How old are Kentucky Derby horses?
The Horse Should Be 3-Year Old The horses in the Kentucky derby should be three years old to qualify. It is why the Kentucky Derby is known to be a once-in-a-lifetime event for horses. After that, they won’t be able to qualify in the Derby anymore.
Every year, gamblers who place wagers on the Kentucky Derby win in excess of $150 million. Get guidance from our experts, crucial information about Derby contenders, and of course the best spot to bet on the Kentucky Derby in our official partners’ and sister site’s TwinSpires.com, where you can learn how to bet on the Kentucky Derby! Betting on the Kentucky Derby from the comfort of your own home Betting 101 Who Are the Experts Choosing as Their Favorites? Sign up to receive the latest betting news and tips.
Learn how much your wager will cost, as well as the potential return on your wager for the Kentucky Derby. Learn more about the Kentucky Derby here.
Find out who the experts believe is the best bet in the Kentucky Derby and place your bet accordingly.
- See all expert choices
- Churchill Downs expert picks
- TwinSpires expert race picks
- And all other expert predictions.
Consensus Top Picks for Your Tickets
You and your guests will each receive a $10 free bet. Consider providing your visitors with a $10 Free Bet on TwinSpires, the Official Betting Site of Kentucky Derby, as a thank you for their attendance. Every time one of your visitors signs up using your invitation code and puts their first wager, you will earn a $10 FREE Bet, and your guest will also receive a $10 FREE Bet! CLICK HERE TO REGISTER NOW!
- You and your guests will each get a $10 free bet Offer your visitors a $10 Free Bet on TwinSpires, the Official Betting Site of the Kentucky Derby, and you’ll be the ultimate host! Every time one of your visitors registers with your invitation code and puts their first wager, you will earn a $10 FREE Bet, and your guest will also receive a $10 FREE Bet! Fill out the registration form RIGHT AWAY.
Betting for All Levels
You and your guests will receive a $10 free bet. Offer your visitors a $10 Free Bet on TwinSpires, the Official Betting Site of the Kentucky Derby, and you’ll be the ultimate host. Every time one of your visitors signs up with your invitation code and puts their first wager, you will earn a $10 FREE Bet, and your guest will also receive a $10 FREE Bet! Register IMMEDIATELY!
- The Art of Betting on a Budget
- Education: Find out more about betting
- What to say at the racetrack betting window
An Introduction to Betting
Interested in having a vested personal stake in the result of the Kentucky Derby? Then put a wager and watch your favorite horse cross the finish line! It is not difficult to place a wager on the Kentucky Derby.
These four simple steps will get you started:
- Consider the odds: What does it mean when a horse is offered with odds of 3-1, 9-1, or 24-1, for example? The odds are just a representation of the estimated likelihood of that specific horse reaching the winner’s enclosure. Generally speaking, a horse priced at 9-1 is predicted to lose nine times and win once from ten efforts (10 being the total of nine and one), which corresponds to a 10% probability of winning. A horse with odds of 3-2 is anticipated to lose three times and win twice out of five attempts, giving it a 40 percent chance of winning in the long run. The payoffs for winning bets are likewise determined by the odds. Every $1 placed on a 6-1 winner will result in a profit of $6 for every $1 wagered. 2) Select a horse to ride
- If you’re wagering modest sums for fun, you can select a horse based on its name, color, or program number—any technique is okay if you’re just having a good time. Nevertheless, for professional bettors, the “previous performances” (entry documents outlining the racing history of each horse) give a plethora of information for further investigation. Speed metrics, jockey and trainer records, pedigrees, and other factors may all be used to determine who is most likely to win a particular race. It is at this point that the odds come into play. If you come to the conclusion that a horse has a 25 percent (3-1) chance of winning, yet the horse is providing odds of 4-1, you’ve discovered a decent wager. You wouldn’t want to gamble on the same runner at odds of 2-1 since the risk would be insufficiently compensate for the return
- 3) Make a wager
- Seasoned gamblers may select from a broad range of gambling choices, including the exacta (picking the first and second place finishers in the order of finish), trifecta, and superfecta (picking the top three finishers in order). These difficult bets can result in large payouts, but they are also more difficult to strike than other types of wagers. Traditional win, place, and show wagers are more likely to bring in a profit for newcomers than other types of betting. In the event that your horses reach the winner’s circle, a win bet will pay you out, so if you’re sure in your pick, this is the way to pursue. The payout for a place bet is when your runner finishes first or second, and the payout for a show bet is when your horse finishes in the top three. 4) Select the appropriate quantity
- The smallest amount you may wager varies from bet to bet, but it is often between 10 cents and $2 on most games. However, you have the option of betting more than the minimal sum, with higher payouts as the reward. However, a $20 win bet on the same horse will provide $120 in return, for a profit of $100. A $2 win bet on the same horse will yield $12 in return for a profit of $10. At the same time, when betting significant amounts, losses can pile rapidly, so stick to your comfort zone and keep your larger bets for races in which you have strong beliefs.
5 trends to consider for finding the Kentucky Derby winner
The annual challenge of narrowing down your search in order to predict the winner of the Kentucky Derby is one of the most challenging assignments assigned to a horse handicapper. A 20-horse field, along with horses traveling from all across the country and from other countries, makes the challenge even more tough for the riders. I’ve compiled a list of a few pointers that, according to history, can assist you in your quest to discover the perfect Derby horse.
- Drawing near to or along the rail would appear to be a logical benefit for any horse in a specific race, and it is true. However, in the Kentucky Derby, being drawn inside has shown to be the inverse of this. Since 1978, only three horses have won the Run for the Roses, all of which came from the three innermost spots on the starting line. A single error from the inside may completely derail a contender’s hopes in a matter of seconds, especially in recent years when field sizes have neared or exceeded 20. Since 2008, six different champions have emerged from starting positions 13 and beyond, and a large part of this may be credited to having a smooth sailing experience. Conclusion: The vacation is really necessary. Kentucky Derby Running Style
- Horses who have been placed in the lead have had a disproportionate amount of success in recent Kentucky Derbys. Over the previous 12 years, the eventual winner has finished in the top three at the second call of the 14-mile race, including six of the last seven. Until Orb, who finished 5th at the second call in 2015, the previous time a Derby hero came from further behind was in 2011. Conclusion: Tactical quickness is practically a need
- For a long time, the Derby’s favorite horses failed to perform up to their pre-race expectations, but that has all changed in recent seasons. Over the course of seven years, seven favorites have emerged triumphant beneath the Twin Spires, including six consecutive victories from 2013 to 2018. Standout horses running their “A” races, trainers becoming more adept at preparing their competitors, and bettors becoming more knowledgeable as the availability of information and technology grows are just a few of the probable consequences of this trend. Trainers
- Don’t go out of your way to attempt to beat the favorite
- Final Verdict: When it comes to Kentucky Derby trainers, experience counts, since the best conditioners in the business frequently have their runners at their prime at Churchill Downs for the race. To emphasize the point, Todd Pletcher, Bob Baffert, and Doug O’Neill, three of the most successful trainers in our sport, have combined to saddle six of the previous twelve Kentucky Derby winners (a record in our sport). Conclusion: The top conditioners receive additional consideration in the Derby selection process
- BRIS Speed and Late Pace Figures
- And BRIS Late Pace Figures. A triple-digit BRIS Speed number was registered prior to the Run for the Roses by nine of the previous twelve winners of America’s most prestigious event in the United States. It seems obvious that if a horse ran well in his prep races, he should be able to continue that form into the main event at Churchill Downs. Because the Kentucky Derby is 14 miles long, it is frequently the first time a sophomore would go 10 furlongs in a race of this caliber. As a result, how a horse finishes at 1 1/8 miles can be a good predictor of how well that animal will do over the last furlong. The BRIS Late Pace rating of 100 or better was achieved by all but one of the previous 12 Kentucky Derby winners in the months leading up to the famous event. That horse was Super Saver, who finished second in the 2010 Arkansas Derby and got a score of 96. (G1). The bottom line is that posting triple-digit BRIS Speed and Late Pace ratings is quite important.
Sham Stakes odds, expert prediction 2022: Horse racing insider who nailed Kentucky Derby reveals picks
At Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif., on Saturday, five 3-year-olds will race to determine who will be a prominent contender for the Kentucky Derby. One of those horses will be a west coast-based horse who will be a leading contender for the Kentucky Derby in 2022. Over the years, the Sham has consistently produced excellent candidates for the country’s biggest races, including Life Is Good, who won the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile last year, and Authentic, who won the Kentucky Derby and the Breeders’ Cup Classic the previous two years.
- Meanwhile, Newgrange, who is also trained by Baffert, is being given 2-1 odds to win the Sham Stakes in 2022, which will have a field of five horses.
- Yu is one of the most well-connected guys in the racing world.
- He has worked as an on-air host and reporter for TVG, HRTV, and the Breeders’ Cup, among other outlets.
- She is also married to Ryan Hanson, a trainer from Santa Anita, California.
- In the 2017 Breeders’ Cup, she defeated Wuheida, an 11-1 long shot, to win the Filly and Mare Turf by a neck.
Medina Spirit was the winner at 12-1 odds in the wide-open Kentucky Derby field of 2021, according to her. Yu has now handicapped the Sham Stakes field for 2022, chosen her selections, and put together her wagering strategy. You can only view them in this location.
Top 2022 Sham Stakes predictions
There is one surprise: Rockefeller is being largely written off, despite the fact that he is the favorite (8-5 on the morning line) and the lone graded stakes winner in the field. In his most recent run, Rockefeller finished fourth in the Grade 3 Nashua Stakes at Belmont Park, following up with a fourth-place performance in the American Pharoah Stakes in his previous start. Rockefeller is a son of Medaglia d’Oro. In that race, he set modest fractions and moved away from the field to win by 23 and a quarter lengths.
The trainer recalls a recent session in which he stalked off his coworker.
“I’m concerned enough about it that I’m not going to put him at the top.” The two horses are preferable than Rockefeller in Yu’s opinion.
How to make 2022 Sham Stakes picks
Horses who are “seasoned, versatile, and classy” are among Yu’s preferred choices. She is also high on a horse that “possesses all of the characteristics that make him deadly.” Yu is included these horses in her Sham Stakes wagers for 2022, and you should do the same. Only at SportsLine will she reveal the horses she intends to back. So, who will be the winner of the Sham Stakes in 2022? What “dangerous” horse is a must-ride in your opinion? And how has Yu come up with her bets to make? After you’ve looked over the most recent Sham Stakes odds, go over to SportsLine to check Yu’s predictions for the Sham Stakes.
2022 Sham Stakes odds
|5||Degree of Risk||12-1|
2021 Kentucky Derby date, horses, predictions, odds: Expert who nailed Derby prep races releases bets, picks
The 147th running of the Run for the Roses will take place on Saturday, and the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in 2021 has the potential to be a watershed moment in racing history. Essential Quality and Mandaloun will be entered in the Kentucky Derby for the first time by Louisville-born trainer Brad Cox, who hopes to become the first local trainer to win the sport’s most prestigious award. Medina Spirit, trained by Bob Baffert, will aim to deliver the trainer a record-breaking seventh Derby triumph, while Midnight Bourbon and Super Stock, trained by fellow Hall of Fame trainer Steve Asmussen, will attempt to earn him his first.
- Midnight Bourbon (20-1) and Super Stock (30-1) are also long chances to finish first and second, respectively, in the 19-horse lineup for the 2021 Kentucky Derby.
- Eastern Time.
- Andy Beyer’s famous handicapping book “Picking Winners” in the late 1980s inspired Weir, who now lives in Saratoga Springs, New York, to start handicapping and watching horse racing.
- The Beyer Speed Figure is a figure that is issued to every race raced by a horse that measures how quickly the animal ran.
- His expertise with speed statistics, as well as his top-tier handicapping, helped him earn one of only eight seats on Beyer’s figure-making crew in 2017, a position that he has retained to this day.
- When he played at Del Mar in 2014, he nailed a $60,000 Pick 6.
- In 2016 and 2017, Weir qualified for the coveted National Horseplayers Championship in Las Vegas, where he placed second and third respectively.
- On June 13, Weir hit a $2 superfecta in the Ogden Phipps Stakes, which paid a whooping $1,039 to the winning owner.
- On June 18, June 19, June 25, July 2, and July 5, he was the lucky winner of the late Pick 4 at Belmont Park, with the winning ticket yielding a staggering $2,159.50.
- Davis Stakes and Tampa Bay Derby, he also finished in first place overall in the Rising Star Stakes and Blue Grass Stakes, putting him in first place overall in the Kentucky Derby prep races for the 2021 Kentucky Derby.
Anyone who has followed him has a leg up on the competition. Weir has completed his handicapping of the Kentucky Derby horses for the year 2021, as well as his selections and wagering strategies. You can only view them in this location.
Top 2021 Kentucky Derby predictions
There is plenty of history that might be made at Churchill Downs in the Kentucky Derby in 2021, which will take place on Saturday, April 14th, for the Run for the Roses’ 147th edition. Attempting to become the first local trainer to win horse racing’s most prestigious prize, Louisville-born trainer Brad Cox will send out Essential Quality and Mandaloun in his debut Derby outing. Medina Spirit, trained by Bob Baffert, will aim to give the trainer a record-breaking seventh Derby triumph, while Midnight Bourbon and Super Stock, trained by fellow Hall of Fame trainer Steve Asmussen, will attempt to give him his first.
- Late-running horses Midnight Bourbon (20-1) and Super Stock (30-1) are also long odds to finish first in the 19-horse Kentucky Derby field for the next year.
- ET on May 4, 2021, for the Kentucky Derby.
- Andy Beyer’s seminal handicapping book “Picking Winners” in the late 1980s inspired Weir to start handicapping and studying horse racing.
- For Weir, the Beyer Speed Figure is extremely important.
- As the foundation of his handicapping, he relies on this statistic.
- Many five-figure days have been generated using Weir’s methods.
- After that, he won a Pick 6 at Gulfstream Park worth $31,000 the next year.
Weir had a fantastic year in his first year with SportsLine.
In the Forego Stakes in August, he won $1,134.50 by winning the exacta and trifecta.
While winning the Sam F.
All of those who have followed in his footsteps have climbed far higher.
This is the only place where you can see them.
How to make 2021 Kentucky Derby picks, bets
The longshot who has been training “very well” at Churchill Downs is one of the candidates for Weir’s victory. As a matter of fact, Weir believes that this horse is a “must-use” in your wagers and that it may have been one of the favorites. Only at SportsLine will he reveal which horses he intends to back.
So, who will be the winner of the Kentucky Derby in 2021? Which epic long shot is a must-back, and which one should be avoided? Check out the most recent Kentucky Derby odds in the table below, and then go over to SportsLine to check Weir’s Kentucky Derby predictions.
2021 Kentucky Derby horses, odds
|2||Like the King||50-1|
|9||Hot Rod Charlie||8-1|
|15||Rock Your World||5-1|
|19||Soup and Sandwich||30-1|
Expert Picks: Who Will Win the Kentucky Derby
With remarks from Joe Drape and Melissa Hoppert of The New York Times, the horses for the 147th running of the Kentucky Derby are listed in order of post position in the Kentucky Derby field. Mike Battaglia of Churchill Downs was in charge of setting the morning-line odds. King Fury was forced to withdraw from the fight on Friday because to a fever. Upon reaching the new 20-horse starting gate, all horses to his outside will congregate in one location. The post numbers and locations remain the same.
- Eastern time on Saturday and will continue on NBC at 2:30 p.m.
- The game will also be broadcast live on NBC Sports Live.
- is the timing of the post.
- 11.4 miles is the distance between two points.
With remarks from Joe Drape and Melissa Hoppert of The New York Times, the horses for the 147th running of the Kentucky Derby are given in descending order of post position. Mike Battaglia of Churchill Downs set the morning-line odds for the race. Because of a fever, King Fury was forced to withdraw from the fight on Friday night. Upon reaching the new 20-horse starting gate, all horses to his outside will congregate in one place. All of the posts have remained in their current locations. How to watch: Click here for more information.
- Eastern time on Saturday and continue on NBC at 2:30 p.m.
- On NBC Sports Live, it will also be shown live in its entirety.
- is the time of the final post!
- 11.4 miles is the distance between the two points on the map.
1. Known Agenda
Todd Pletcher is the trainer. Irad Ortiz Jr. is the rider. Odds:6-1 Drape: Until he was drawn in the No. 1 position, the Florida Derby champion was considered a serious contender. To get through this, he’ll need a lot of luck and some professional management. Hoppert:He has won two consecutive races by a combined 133.44 lengths since he began wearing blinkers, and he will be ridden by the No. 1 rider in North America, who will be aboard for the first time. I’m willing to take my chances on a surprise.
2. Like the King
Wesley Ward is the trainer. Jockey:Drayden Van Dyke is a fictional character created by author John Van Dyke in the 1960s. Van Dyke is a fictitious character created by author John Van Dyke in the 1960s and a fictional character created by author John Van Dyke in the 1960s and a fictional character created by author John Van Dyke in the 1960s and a fictional character created by author John Van Dyke in the 1960s and a fictional character created by author John Van Dyke in the 1960s and a fictional character created by Odds:50-1 Drape:This horse came on strong late in the race to win the Jeff Ruby Steaks.
He has dug himself a much deeper hole here, and he has also chosen a difficult post position.
Hoppert:Ward, who is most known for his win at Royal Ascot, has set his sights on adding a Derby victory to his resume. However, this colt’s finest performances have come on synthetic surfaces, and he has set his sights on a natural surface.
3. Brooklyn Strong
Danny Velazquez is the trainer. Umberto Rispoli is the horse’s jockey. Odds:50-1 Drape:This gelding finished third out of four as a 2-year-old, but a sickness prevented him from starting his training until his 3-year-old debut, when he finished sixth in the Wood Memorial. Hoppert: This late addition to the field may not be in peak physical condition, but he does have one of the most compelling tale lines: A freak training mishap caused his trainer to suffer a serious injury, which resulted in his being acquired for for $5,000.
Roberto Diodoro is the trainer. David Cohen is the jockey. Odds:50-1 Drape: In the Blue Grass, he was defeated by the morning-line favorite by a margin of 16 lengths. Next. Hoppert: Another late arrival, he has only one career victory in six career starts and, sadly, is regressing in his performance.
Todd Pletcher is the trainer. Corey Lanerie is the rider. Odds:50-1 Drape: This will be the colt’s fourth start in his career, and he is a promising prospect. After an exhilarating journey, he came in second place in the Jeff Ruby. In the summer, he will be a formidable opponent. Hoppert: He’s the least skilled of Pletcher’s four Derby starts, and he’s the least likely to win. Pass.
6. O Besos
Todd Pletcher serves as the trainer for this group. Corey Lanerie is the horse’s jockey. Odds:50-1 For this exceptional colt, this will be his fourth career start, according to Drape. After an exciting journey, he placed second in the Jeff Ruby. The summer will see him emerge as a dominant force. The least talented of Pletcher’s four Derby starts, Hoppert is certainly the least talented of the group. Pass.
Brad Cox is the trainer. Florent Geroux is the horse’s jockey. Odds:15-1 In the Louisiana Derby, this horse finished sixth, but if you can overlook that, he’s right up there with the favorites. He has been working here since the wee hours of the morning. Hoppert: He’s undeniably gifted, but his future is too much of a question mark. I’m going to spend my money somewhere else.
8. Medina Spirit
Trainer:BobBaffert John Velazquez is the rider. 15-1Drape: The runner-up in the Santa Anita Derby has finished first or second in each of his five outings and has looked terrific doing so. Never rule out Baffert, says Hoppert. With six Derby triumphs, he is tied for the most all-time, and his most recent came last year with Velazquez in the saddle. Andy Lyons/Getty Images is credited with this image. Doug O’Neill is the trainer. Flavien Prat is the horse’s jockey. Odds:8-1 Drape: The Louisiana Derby champion was not bred for the mile-and-a-quarter distance, as was the case last year.
His ability to run across a variety of terrain bodes well for this race.
10. Midnight Bourbon
Steven Asmussen is the trainer. Mike Smith is the horse’s jockey. Odds:20-1 Drape:This is a battle-tested horse who will be there in the stretch and at a reasonable price, according to the trainer.
Hoppert: He has finished first or second in all seven of his races, and he has picked up a rider who is a member of the Hall of Fame. Plus, this horse has a lot of character: when he broke loose while attempting to avoid receiving a bath, he became the talk of the rear.
11. Dynamic One
Steven Asmussen is the instructor. Mike Smith is the horse’s jockey. Odds:20-1 “This is a battle-tested colt who will be there in the stretch, and at a reasonable price,” says Drape. Hoppert: He has finished first or second in all seven of his races, and he has picked up a rider who will go down in history as a Hall of Fame horse. This horse also has a lot of personality: when he broke loose while attempting to avoid receiving a bath, he became the talk of the rear.
Mark Casse is the trainer. Julien Leparoux is the rider. Odds:50-1 Drape: The Tampa Bay Derby champion has gone undefeated in three races, and he appears to be getting stronger with each outing. There isn’t much information here, but it’s worth a $2 flyer. In fact, Hoppert says, two of those victories occurred on synthetic surfaces. I’m going to pass.
13. Hidden Stash
Vicki Oliver is the trainer. Rafael Bejarano is the rider. Odds:50-1 Drape: Another player who appears to be out of his depth after coming fourth in the Blue Grass by a significant margin. Although he has won on this track in the past, Hoppert believes he is a step slower than the top candidates, and he believes we will have to wait a little longer before we see a female trainer take home the Derby.
14. Essential Quality
Brad Cox is the trainer. Luis Saez is the rider. Odds:2-1 Having won all five of his races, Drape is a worthy favorite after winning the Blue Grass and being crowned 2-year-old champion. It is merely a matter of how much of him was sapped by the Blue Grass. Hoppert: It was on the rescheduled Derby day in September that he earned his first victory, and he hasn’t looked back since, winning races at three different racetracks on fast and sloppy grounds, while adopting a range of different racing tactics.
15. Rock Your World
Brad Cox is the instructor. Juan Saez was the rider on the day. Odds:2-1 Drape: After winning all five of his races, the Blue Grass winner and 2-year-old champion is a worthy favorite. It is merely a matter of how much of him was taken away by the Blue Grass. Hoppert: It was on the rescheduled Derby day in September that he scored his first victory, and he hasn’t looked back since, winning races at three different racetracks on fast and sloppy surfaces, while adopting a range of different running tactics.
16. King Fury (Scratched)
Ken McPeek is the trainer. Brian Hernandez Jr. is the rider. Odds:20-1 Drape: He won here as a 2-year-old and looked fantastic in winning the Lexington Stakes on his 3-year-old start in the Lexington Stakes. His jockey and trainer are both underappreciated. This is my selection. Despite the fact that his Lexington Stakes victory occurred on a wet track, the weather in Louisville on Saturday is supposed to be picture perfect. Hoppert: It’s not there in my opinion.
17. Highly Motivated
Ken McPeek is a personal trainer. Brian Hernandez, Jr. is the jockey for this race. Odds:20-1 Doctor: He was a 2-year-old champion here, and he looked fantastic in winning the Lexington Stakes on his 3-year-old start. Drape: A lot of people overlook the fact that he has a good trainer and an excellent jockey.
Pick of the litter, if you will, is Despite the fact that his Lexington Stakes victory came on a wet track, the weather in Louisville is forecast to be picture-perfect on Saturday. I don’t see anything wrong with that at all.
18. Super Stock
Trainer:Asmussen Ricardo Santana Jr. is the rider. Odds:30-1 “The Arkansas Derby winner took advantage of a pace battle that occurred in front of him,” Drape said. There’s a lot of traffic to negotiate through here. In addition to being a part owner, Anders Asmussen’s son rode him to his first victory, but the happy ending to the narrative comes at the conclusion of the video clip.
19. Soup and Sandwich
Trainer:Casse Tyler Gaffalione is the rider, and the odds are 30-1. Drape:Wonderful moniker. Look for this runner-up in the Florida Derby to take the lead entering the first turn. His only hope is to score from the gate to the finish line, which will be difficult to do. Hoppert: Although owned by the granddaughter of Campbell Soup founder, this fast but untested colt is most certainly in hot water in this situation.
Trainer:Pletcher Kendrick Carmouche is the horse’s jockey. Odds:30-1 Drape:This colt has a deep, deep closer in his bloodline. He beat the odds of 72-1 to win the Wood with a last-to-first surge. He intends to attempt to create one again. As Hoppert points out, he has progressively improved while wearing blinkers, and what a story it would be if Carmouche, riding in his maiden Derby appearance, became the first Black jockey to win the race since 1902.
2022 Kentucky Derby Odds
Trainer:Pletcher Kendall Carmouche is the jockey. Odds:30-1 Drap:This colt has a tremendous amount of close-out potential. Using a last-to-first surge, he won the Wood at odds of 72-1. Another attempt will be made by him. As Hoppert points out, Carmouche has progressively improved with blinkers, and what a story it would be if he became the first Black jockey to win the Derby since 1902 on his maiden appearance in the event.
- Short odds are odds that are closer to even money or ‘1’ than they are to a win, as as ‘4-5.’
- As an example, ‘4-5’ are considered short odds since they are closer to even money or a “1” than they are to a “2.”
- Long odds are odds that are farther away from even money or ‘1’ than even money or ‘1’, such as ’30-1.’
- Horses with higher chances of winning the Derby have a lower likelihood of being talented within the field of Derby starters.
Where can I Find Kentucky Derby odds?
Visit this page when the Kentucky Derby post position draw is completed in order to get the morning line odds!
- In addition to official Kentucky Derby morning line odds, TwinSpires.com offers live Kentucky Derby betting odds as well as Kentucky Derby LIVE betting odds on KentuckyDerby.com. The Kentucky Derby Prep Race Winner Odds are also available on KentuckyDerby.com. The process by which morning line odds are calculated
- Wynn Las Vegas Odds & Figures
Official 2021 Kentucky Derby Morning Line Odds
Following the conclusion of the 2020-21 Road to the Kentucky Derby and the announcement of the official field and post positions, the official morning line odds for the 2021 Run for the Roses may be seen below. Essential Quality, trained by Brad Cox and having won four races on the Road to the Kentucky Derby, is the pre-race favorite, with odds of 2-1.
|(POST) HORSE||ML ODDS||TRAINER / JOCKEY||RTKD POINTS|
|(1)Known Agenda||6-1||Todd Pletcher /Irad Ortiz Jr.||102|
|(2)Like the King||50-1||Wesley Ward /Drayden Van Dyke||104|
|(3)Brooklyn Strong||50-1||Daniel Velazquez /Umberto Rispoli||10|
|(4)Keepmeinmind||50-1||Robertino Diodoro /David Cohen||18|
|(5)Sainthood||50-1||Todd Pletcher /Corey Lanerie||40|
|(6)O Besos||20-1||Greg Foley /Marcelino Pedroza||25|
|(7)Mandaloun||15-1||Brad Cox /Florent Geroux||52|
|(8)Medina Spirit||15-1||Bob Baffert /John Velazquez||74|
|(9)Hot Rod Charlie||8-1||Doug O’Neill /Flavien Prat||110|
|(10)Midnight Bourbon||20-1||Steve Asmussen /Mike Smith||66|
|(11)Dynamic One||20-1||Todd Pletcher /Jose Ortiz||40|
|(12)Helium||50-1||Mark Casse /Julien Leparoux||50|
|(13)Hidden Stash||50-1||Vicki Oliver /Rafael Bejarano||32|
|(14)Essential Quality||2-1||Brad Cox /Luis Saez||140|
|(15)Rock Your World||5-1||John Sadler /Joel Rosario||100|
|(16)King Fury||20-1||Kenny McPeek /Brian Hernandez Jr.||20|
|(17)Highly Motivated||10-1||Chad Brown /Javier Castellano||50|
|(18)Super Stock||30-1||Steve Asmussen /Ricardo Santana Jr.||109|
|(19)Soup and Sandwich||30-1||Mark Casse /Tyler Gaffalione||40|
|(20)Bourbonic||30-1||Todd Pletcher /Kendrick Carmouche||100|
Official morning line odds are determined by an odds line maker after the post position draw is conducted during Derby week. Betting public interest and wagering action are used by the odds maker to establish, to the best of their ability, what the odds of each horse will sit at. Before the official Kentucky Derby draw is made on Derby week, any odds or lines that appear elsewhere are either speculative, a bookmaker’s best guess, or not officially sanctioned by the state.
Morning Line vs Final Odds for Kentucky Derby Prep Race Winners
Below is a table that lists each Road to the Kentucky Derby prep event, as well as the winning horse in each race, as well as the morning line and final odds for each winning horse heading into those races.
- The information on each Kentucky Derby North American prep race winner for the 2021 Kentucky Derby season may be used to determine what lessons can be learned. With morning line odds and final odds side by side in the table below, you can see which horses started as a near favorite and by start time, due to public money fluctuation, had fallen or gained public betting backing
- Whether these Road to the Kentucky Derby prep race winners will be favorites for the Kentucky Derby
- And whether these Road to the Kentucky Derby prep race winners will be favorites for the Kentucky Derby.
|RTKD Race||Winning Horse||ML Odds||Final Odds|
|Iroquois Stakes||Sittin On Go||15-1||24-1|
|American Pharoah Stakes||Get Her Number||7-2||8-1|
|Breeders’ Futurity||Essential Quality||2-1||9-5|
|Champagne Stakes||Jackie’s Warrior||3-5||4-5|
|Breeders’ Cup Juvenile||Essential Quality||4-1||7-2|
|Kentucky Jockey Club||Keepmeinmind||6-5||2-1|
|Remsen Stakes||Brooklyn Strong||7-2||7-1|
|Springboard Mile||Senor Buscador||15-1||7-2|
|Los Alamitos Futurity||Spielberg||5-2||9-5|
|Jerome Stakes||Capo Kane||12-1||6-1|
|Sham Stakes||Life Is Good||2-5||1-5|
|Lecomte Stakes||Midnight Bourbon||7-2||7-2|
|Smarty Jones Stakes||Caddo River||5-2||3-5|
|Robert B. Lewis Stakes||Medina Spirit||5-2||1-1|
|Holy Bull Stakes||Greatest Honour||5-2||5-2|
|Withers Stakes||Risk Taking||5-2||9-5|
|Sam F. Davis||Candy Man Rocket||10-1||3-1|
|El Camino Real Derby||Rombauer||8-5||6-5|
|John Battaglia Memorial||Hush of a Storm||10-1||6-1|
|Southwest Stakes||Essential Quality||3-2||4-5|
|Risen Star Stakes||Mandaloun||9-2||2-1|
|Fountain of Youth Stakes||Greatest Honour||9-5||1-1|
|Tampa Bay Derby||Helium||6-1||15-1|
|San Felipe Stakes||Life Is Good||4-5||1-2|
|Rebel Stakes||Concert Tour||2-1||8-5|
|Louisiana Derby||Hot Rod Charlie||3-1||5-2|
|Jeff Ruby Steaks||Like the King||6-1||7-1|
|Florida Derby||Known Agenda||5-1||5-1|
|UAE Derby||Rebel’s Romance||n/a||n/a|
|Blue Grass Stakes||Essential Quality||3-5||1-2|
|Santa Anita Derby||Rock Your World||4-1||5-1|
|Arkansas Derby||Super Stock||6-1||12-1|
|Lexington Stakes||King Fury||10-1||18-1|
How Kentucky Derby Morning-line Odds Are Made
The Post Position Draw, a one-hour ritual that decides starting positions for the Kentucky Derby, is when the odds for the race are published. The Kentucky Derby Post Position Draw takes place on the Wednesday before the race, which takes place on the first Saturday in May, and is broadcast live on the internet. Customers at TwinSpires are well aware that we are the go-to site for Kentucky Derby gambling – and the race odds that are being revealed are undoubtedly one of the most exciting aspects of the Kentucky Derby wagering process that has been disclosed.
- He announces the odds for the main event immediately after the post positions are selected, according to the schedule.
- Every year, a complete field of 20 competitors may be expected for America’s most famous horse race, the Belmont Stakes.
- races is now at 14 for the Kentucky Derby, the event has the potential to produce excellent bet returns.
- For the most up-to-date odds, you may sign up for a free account at TwinSpires or visit KentuckyDerby.com.
- After the introduction of a November KDFW in 2013, the remaining three pools are normally planned over the months of February, March, and April, in conjunction with significant pre-race events.
In advance of the weekend, the morning line odds are posted, and the uniquebetting opportunity is available from Friday through Sunday. Return to the top of the page
2020 Kentucky Derby: Las Vegas Opinions
What are the bookmakers’ thoughts on the horses who will compete in the Kentucky Derby? Find a sample of their opening and closing odds for the 14th of January, 2020, below.
|TIZ THE LAW||20||8|
|GREEN LIGHT GO||75||75|
|PRINCE OF PHAROAHS||75||75|
|STORM THE COURT||90||12|
Wynn Las Vegas Odds Summary for the 2018 Kentucky Derby
The Kentucky Derby is fast approaching, and bookmakers are speculating about which horses will run. On January 14, 2020, you may see an example of their opening and closing odds.
Kentucky Derby Odds 2022 – Odds for Kentucky Derby Horses
The Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs is scheduled for May 7, 2022, and sportsbooks are giving futures odds on which horses will compete in the race. The most recent update was made on February 17, 2022 at 9:06 a.m. Eastern Time. Betting odds for the Kentucky Derby in 2022, photo courtesy of USA TODAY Sports have unveiled a comprehensive list of horses on which to wager as they compete and prepare for the first Triple Crown event of the horse-racing season.
Kentucky Derby odds
Horse racing odds are frequently displayed as fractional odds in the media. Make use of ourodds converter and moneyline calculator to convert them to American (+900) or Decimal (10.0) units of measure, or to calculate a possible payment.
|Horse||Odds to win|
|Slow Down Andy||20/1|
|Rattle N Roll||25/1|
|Tiz The Bomb||33/1|
As of February 17, 2022, odds provided by Bet365.
Kentucky Derby odds over time
As of February 17, 2022, the odds were provided by Bet365.
Odds of past Kentucky Derby winners
After dominating at Churchill Downs from 2013 to 2018, Country House won the Run for the Roses in 2019 as the second-biggest underdog in Derby history at 65/1, while Authentic pulled off his own upset by defeating strong favorite Tiz the Law last year. The following are the winners of the Kentucky Derby since 2000, as well as their starting post locations and final odds.
|Year||Kentucky Derby Winner||Post Position||Final Odds|
|2012||I’ll Have Another||19||15/1|
|2009||Mine That Bird||8||50/1|
More horse racing betting
As of February 17, 2022, odds provided by Bet365.
Which states have legal betting the Kentucky Derby?
As of February 17, 2022, the odds were provided by Bet365.
Kentucky Derby odds FAQs
Before winning the Kentucky Derby in 2020, Authentic closed with odds of 8/1 to win the race.
How do odds work in the Kentucky Derby?
The odds to win the Kentucky Derby are the most common types of odds you will encounter for the event. The odds mentioned above are in the standard American format.
Who has the best odds to win the Kentucky Derby?
As of mid-April, the horses Essential Quality and Concert Tour are co-favorites to win the Kentucky Derby in 2021, with odds of +350 each.
Kentucky Derby predictions: Plenty of experts don’t think Essential Quality will win
The Lexington Herald-Leader enlisted the help of numerous horse racing experts to predict the outcome of Saturday’s Kentucky Derby. The winner of the Blue Grass Stakes Essential Quality is the 2-1 morning-line favorite, while the victor of the Santa Anita Derby is the second favorite. Rock Your World (5-1), Florida Derby winner Known Agenda (6-1) and Louisiana Derby winner are among the contenders for the Kentucky Derby. Hot Rod Charlie(8-1) is a close second in the early betting odds. King Fury was pulled from the race on Friday afternoon, according to the track’s official website.
The Herald-LeaderWin: An Important Qualitative Aspect Rock Your World is the location. Show: A Pre-Existing Agenda In my opinion, Essential Quality is the finest in this profession, and he’ll demonstrate it on Saturday.
King Fury is victorious in the Herald-Leader contest.
Mandaloun is the location. Exhibit: Essential Qualities In contrast to the typical Derby tendencies of the “points system era,” this year just feels like a long shot in terms of winning the Kentucky Derby.
Win at the Herald-Leader: Make Your World a Better Place Essential Qualities are located in the following locations: Hot Rod is a television show. Charlie In an attempt to dethrone the champion, Rock Your World has demonstrated the most potential star power within this 3-year-old group thus far. NEW: Predicting the winner of the Kentucky Derby in 2021 — A deeper look at each of the 20 horses in the field, with some wagers to consider and some long shots to consider. Ben Roberts (@BenRobertsHL) is a hockey player from the United Kingdom.
BloodHorseWin: A Crucial Characteristic Soup and Sandwiches are served at this location. Hot Rod Charlie is the star of the show. While it is true that weird things may happen in the Kentucky Derby, essential quality, the morning-line favorite, is not one of them. His five outings have not only resulted in victories, but he has also received valuable racing experience, skillfully dealing with hurdles like as varying speed conditions and an off track.
WDRB Win by making a splash in the world. Hot Rod is the location. Charlie Showcase: Extremely Motivated I chose the Known Agenda option and then sat back and watched the post-position sketch.
The Los Angeles Times published an article stating that Win by making a splash in the world. Essential Qualities are located in the following locations: Show: A Pre-Existing Agenda With Joel Rosario aboard, Rock’s overwhelming victory in the Santa Anita Derby elevated him to a new level of dominance among the big preliminaries.
LA Times (Los Angeles) Win by making a splash in the media. Quality That Must Not Be Missed Show: a well-documented schedule Comment: Rock’s performance in the Santa Anita Derby was the most dominant of all the big preps, and the addition of Joel Rosario only improves his chances.
Turf writer on a national scale Winner: Extremely Motivated Essential Qualities are located in the following locations: Hot Rod Charlie is the star of the show. Comment: Highly Motivated has demonstrated a great deal thus far, and it appears that the best is yet to come.
Courier JournalWinner: Unquestionable Qualities Hot Rod is the location. Choosing a favorite is difficult, but let’s not make it any more difficult than it already is. CharlieShow: Rock Your WorldComment: No one enjoys selecting a favorite, but let’s not make this any more difficult than it already is. Essential Quality is the finest horse in the world, and the moment has come for Louisville trainer Brad Cox to ride him to victory.
According to the Washington Post Winner: Extremely Motivated Hot Rod is the location. Charlie Exhibit: Essential Qualities Comment: Essential Quality is a well-deserved favorite, but I like the value that Highly Motivated provides for the money. He’s demonstrated that he possesses the necessary speed to win, and his lineage indicates that he will have the endurance to complete the classic distance.
Turf writer on a national scale To Win: Dynamic OnePlace: A Well-Kept Agenda As a result, even though Rock Your World has been my top-ranked horse for the past few months and Known Agenda has been a close second, I stated in January that Dynamic One was my secret Derby sleeper while he was still a maiden, so I am taking a chance on him at a significant discount.
According to the New York Times Win based on a well-known agenda Essential Qualities are located in the following locations: Midnight Bourbon is the name of the show. Comment: Since switching to blinkers, Known Agenda has won two consecutive races by a combined total of 13 34 lengths, and he’ll be ridden by the No. 1 rider in North America. I’m willing to take my chances on a surprise.
Hot Rod is the winner of the BloodHorseWin. Charlie Essential Qualities are located in the following locations: Rock Your World is a show that will rock your world. Value-based selection is discussed further. Hot Rod is a type of automobile. Charlie finished second in the Louisiana Derby, his final Kentucky prep, and ran a close race against Derby favorite Essential Quality at Keeneland last fall.
NBC SportsWin: Make Your World a Better Place Essential Qualities are located in the following locations: Medina Spirit is a performance piece. Comment: I’m a sucker for genius over consistency when it comes to sports. Rock Your World’s Santa Anita Derby was the greatest of any prep race, and it wasn’t only because it was the only one to post a Beyer rating in the triple digits. It’s possible that the Derby will be rigged.
Rock Your World with NBC SportsWin Quality That Must Not Be Missed Medina Spirit is a performance art group based in Los Angeles. As a rule, I prefer flashes of brilliance over a steady stream of results. This year’s Rock Your World Santa Anita Derby was the greatest of any prep race, and it wasn’t only because it featured the only horse to earn a Beyer Speed Index of 100 or above. It’s possible that we’ll have to wire the race.
Formulario di corsa di giornata Win based on a well-known agenda The location is King Fury. Hot Rod is a television show. Charlie To be sure, Todd Pletcher will be inducted into the Hall of Fame on the first vote next week, so a third Derby victory a few days before that would be quite the lead-in. If you can obtain it, that’s excellent effort.
Formulario di corsa di giornata Hot Rod Charlie takes home the victory. Medina Spirit is the location. Rock Your World is a show that will rock your world. Consider the California-breds to be the finest in the country this year, and Hot Rod Charlie has demonstrated that he can ship and run effectively.
According to the Paulick Report Winner: Extremely Motivated Essential Qualities are located in the following locations: Medina Spirit is a performance piece. Comment: In his first attempt around two turns, Highly Motivated came close to defeating the champion, Essential Quality, in the Blue Grass race. Javier Castellano, the Hall of Fame jockey, and four-time Eclipse Award winner Chad Brown are both looking to win their first Kentucky Derby after that performance.
Communications from the HBPA Essential Qualities Come Out on Top Agenda is known about the location. Midnight Bourbon is the name of the show.
Comment: There are moments when you simply have to accept what is in front of you: Essential Quality ticks all of the boxes, including the ability to be used in a variety of situations. However, witnessing Rock Your World and Hot Rod Charlie train has left a lasting impression on me.
NBC SportsWin: An Important Qualitative Aspect Rock Your World is the location. Hot Rod is a television show. Charlie Comment: Brad Cox becomes the first Louisville-born trainer to win the Kentucky Derby, and his Essential Quality stays flawless.
Formulario di corsa di giornata Essential Qualities Come Out on Top Rock Your World is the location. Mandaloun is a show. Comment: There has been no one in Kentucky Derby training who has impressed me more than these three; they all appear to be prospering. Even though Essential Quality is the clear favorite, there are a number of weaknesses in this contest.
Horse Racing is a national pastime in the United States. Essential Qualities Come Out on Top Date and time: Midnight Bourbon O Besos is a show that takes place in Brazil. Comment: Essential Quality is a deserving favorite who managed to avoid being drawn to the rail and therefore ended up in a respectable position. It’s wide open, but he’ll have to be at the top of a lot of people’s priority lists.
Nation of Horse Racing Essential Qualities Come Out on Top (Win) Observation time: 12 a.m. Bourbon O Besos is a show that takes place in Mexico City. Important Qualities is a deserving favorite who managed to avoid being drawn to the fence, resulting in a respectable placing in the field. But he’ll have to be towards the top of a large number of tickets since it’s a wide open field.
Horse Racing is a national sport in the United States. Essential Qualities Take Home the Trophy Time: 12 a.m. Bourbon O Besos is a show about friendship. Comment: Essential Quality is a deserving favorite who managed to avoid being drawn to the rail, resulting in a respectable finish. But he’ll have to be towards the top of a long list of tickets since it’s a wide open field.
Horse Racing is a national pastime. Essential Qualities Take First Place Time: Midnight Bourbon Show: O Besos Comment: Essential Quality is a deserving favorite who managed to avoid being drawn onto the rail, resulting in a respectable finish. It’s wide open, but he’ll have to be towards the top of a lot of lists of tickets.